Thread: Neat Adhesive

Default Neat Adhesive

In trying to stabilize the collimnating lens for a projector I found that really like using the UV curing Loctite 3103. Its thixotropic, clear and when you apply a very small drop to the junction between the threaded insert and the housing 15 seconds with the unfocused beam of a 405 nm 150mw laser pointer and its rubbery, at 30 seconds its hard and when you want it off a sharp blade under the edge and a moderate twist and its off without any residue. It comes in a 25 ml syringe with a standard twist lock that fits a hypodermic needle that nicely extends your reach. A 20 G 1" is a good compromise.

Funny you mention it. I'm playing with Norland #61 optical adhesive and a 405nm laser right now. Good stuff! It the Loctite UV cure adhesive clear?

Yes it is colorless and water clear on application and after examining it cured under a 20x microscope the curred form might and I say might, have have a little haze.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Yes it is colorless and water clear on application and after examining it cured under a 20x microscope the curred form might and I say might, have have a little haze.

Yea it isn't designed to be an optical adhesive. I have Norland 61 and 68. It is index matching and optically clear for most applications. It is what you use to glue lenses together. It also doesn't move much when curing.

I Haven't tried 405 on it yet. I bought some 360nm UV diodes and they take forever. I need a good way to cure that won't break the bank.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post

I Haven't tried 405 on it yet. I bought some 360nm UV diodes and they take forever. I need a good way to cure that won't break the bank.

chad

the 405nm LD's work okay. You could try UVA sun tan lamps or maybe an EPROM erase lamp. You could probably also use a metal arc lamp if you are cool.