Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thread Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by VDX
    ... such 'thread-cleaning' is best done by mods (or admins) not direct involved in the thread ... the OP or 'involved' users with such powers tends to kill discussions, even if they are not heated or totally OT ...
    Really? References?
    ... I'm admin in RepRap-forums ... here it's often the same with powers vs. censorship in relation to the 'vividness' of threads ...

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... I'm admin in RepRap-forums ... here it's often the same with powers vs. censorship in relation to the 'vividness' of threads ...
    In other words - because I said so...

vividness - or annoying? If you measure success by the number of posts - then sure - maximal noise is by definition a good thing...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I hate when threads go OT.

I have a question, what is the easiest way to identify the orientation of a PBS cube?
    From Edmund:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fig-4-tb.gif 
Views:	8 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	41767
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    The rep system mentioned above is a terrible idea
    Dude - I'm pretty sure he was joking. Everyone agrees that a "rep" system is fundamentally flawed.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Dude - I'm pretty sure he was joking. Everyone agrees that a "rep" system is fundamentally flawed.

Adam
    I believe that's the first time I've heard anyone here agree with me on that point. The first. And I don't believe he was joking.

Edit: OK, I looked at it again and missed the smiley face. My mistake. Should I correct myself with this edit, by cutting the sentence, or by cutting my whole post (in light of this thread's topic)? Should the OP be empowered to make that call?
    Last edited by Eidetic; 01-10-2014 at 06:57.

Perhaps it's just that a lot of people don't like to drag up drama from LPF and post about it here. But privately, lots of people have bemoaned the rep system there, because it rapidly devolves into a popularity contest where people are judged not by their contributions to the community, or even their knowledge, but rather by the number of friends they have. That's no way to run a railroad.

Also, even though the post is now deleted, he did have the retardo-face smiley at the end of it. I interpreted that as a sarcastic dig at the flawed system that LPF uses. I could be wrong, but I figured it was a little tongue-in-cheek joke and nothing more.

Adam

I'd have had the same interpretation if I hadn't been flash-blinded by the rage put into my head by the suggestion. Again, my fault. But I'd still rather see threads left intact, warts and all.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Wait, what? Is it my post you're referring to? AFAIKT, still there http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...602#post281602

And that was definately a joke! Sorry that wasn't clear, should have added more 's.
    I'm not, and have never been, a member of LPF, but I heard people complain about the rep system there so I posted that comment.

Sorry - I thought it had been deleted. I went looking for it and couldn't find it. Guess I must have scrolled right past it without noticing. (Sigh - My eyesight must be failing me in my old age...)

But yeah, I had a feeling it was meant as a joke. Glad to see I read your intent correctly.

Adam

Just about the only thing I KNOW about LPF is that it has/had a tremendously flawed and abused rep system.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.