Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe we do need to start worrying about a "beast"...

this argument is as old as the laser.

retards will shoot planes, lasers will get cheaper and more powerful and life will go on.

bitch all you want...I remember when PR got a 5mw battery powered hene about the size of my arm and the whole industry thought it would be the end...it wasnt

carry on, enjoy life, build shit...nothing will change
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    this argument is as old as the laser.

retards will shoot planes, lasers will get cheaper and more powerful and life will go on.

bitch all you want...I remember when PR got a 5mw battery powered hene about the size of my arm and the whole industry thought it would be the end...it wasnt

carry on, enjoy life, build shit...nothing will change
    lol exactly...

you cant legislate to fix stupid... stupid people will do stupid things, such is life

I think nothing should have interlocks, and there should be no warning labels/signs on ANYTHING... too stupid to realize that fork shouldn't be in the outlet? I say let them do it and hence remove themselves from the gene pool lol

The only thing we can do is as soon the pointers show up on ebay and other selling sites report the item as a "illegal" object so ebay can remove it so we can avoid another Tomorrowland incident

http://www.laserist.org/2009-07_Belgian-incident.htm

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    ...too stupid to realize that fork shouldn't be in the outlet? I say let them do it and hence remove themselves from the gene pool lol
    Hah, so, then you'd have no gripes if no one from PL sent you a 'Get Well Soon' card after you blew your eye out with your 'Frankenscope', there?

Point is NOT: 'you are stupid'; Point-IS: there are many that will buy these things, and NOT KNOW / understand the dangers / laws involved... does not mean they are 'stupid' - just not educated about these things... which is why I only advocate, 'know' your buyer...YOU (you = any harvest-seller) 'be the CDRH'...

...but I suppose it is pointless to argue the value of 'self-regulation' with a 'hedonist', anyway, right?

peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Not to worry, I can still buy a DIY pointer kit from some guy on PL
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...801#post148801

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    The only thing we can do is as soon the pointers show up on ebay and other selling sites report the item as a "illegal" object so ebay can remove it so we can avoid another Tomorrowland incident

http://www.laserist.org/2009-07_Belgian-incident.htm

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Not to worry, I can still buy a DIY pointer kit from some guy on PL
    Sorry................
    he'll sell you all the parts but the Laser... IIRC..

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    Sorry................
    he'll sell you all the parts but the Laser... IIRC..

Jerry
    But thats ok, because there's a whole bunch of folk happy to sell the diodes at the moment...

Just get on with your life, enjoy whats happening at the moment and avoid the crazy looking folk with the blue sabres...

BTW, it seems all the hysteria is coming mainly from the Stateside colleagues - is this a result of different regulations and pressures I wonder?

My company is getting bombarded with offers to sell us 445nm laser diodes. I've never seen that before. It's like there is now a glut of these diodes and they are trying to dump them everywhere.

I guess it's not all bad. I've been designing a new fiber coupled diode lab system but was going to use the old and busted 650nm diodes for testing due to their price and high power but now I'm thinking of doing it in 445nm as the demonstrations will generally look better. Clients like flash and bling.
    The Frothy Chimp
    Cynic Extraordinaire
    Back off man, I'm a scientist

Good whiskey, fine cigars, long legged women and blues guitar.
    That's what I like.

The strong shall stand, the weak shall fall by the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    lol exactly...

you cant legislate to fix stupid... stupid people will do stupid things, such is life
    I think nothing should have interlocks, and there should be no warning labels/signs on ANYTHING... too stupid to realize that fork shouldn't be in the outlet? I say let them do it and hence remove themselves from the gene pool lol
    Hence my signature below.

Indeed the natural selection process is being interfered with; this is bad in the long term.

Ahh shit, I just took a bite out of my monitor, it tastes like mercury and the sign that says "Do not eat your monitor" was fixed to the back , less crunchy than the CRT I ate this morning though

Now where did I leave the lawyer's business card...........
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hah, so, then you'd have no gripes if no one from PL sent you a 'Get Well Soon' card after you blew your eye out with your 'Frankenscope', there?

Point is NOT: 'you are stupid'; Point-IS: there are many that will buy these things, and NOT KNOW / understand the dangers / laws involved... does not mean they are 'stupid' - just not educated about these things... which is why I only advocate, 'know' your buyer...YOU (you = any harvest-seller) 'be the CDRH'...

...but I suppose it is pointless to argue the value of 'self-regulation' with a 'hedonist', anyway, right?

peace...
    j
    LOL

I have been called a lot of things but I gotta give it to you, thats a new one

thing is realistically, the people building these things are (hopefully, god hopefully) aware of what lasers are and the dangers of them... like mentioned earlier the real issue is going to be going after people selling complete (assembled) pointers etc... everyone on PL should (hopefully) realize that a class IV laser demands respect, serious respect, and is not, at any point in time, a toy... sure, you can point at things, and burn tape, but as a demonstration laser, fine, but never ever ever treat it as a "toy"

and no I would not expect a "Get Well" card if I did something stupid with my laserscope cause that would be my own damn fault

I treat it like I treat a loaded firearm (and I have plenty of those too) and haven't shot myself yet so I guess I am doin ok lol