Thread: Some PSU advice please

Default Some PSU advice please

Hello

I'm newish to this site. Apart from posting in the wanted section I have not made any post so will start by saying Hi!

I was looking for some advice please;

I have just purchased a Coherent Compass 315 Laser and while I'm waiting for it to turn up I've been looking at suitable power supplies for it. For some reason I got to thinking about CCTV psu's as they are generally 12v and lots of power
    and would probably have built in noise filters. Anyway I had a look on Ebay and they just seem to cheap. I was looking at this one and at £9.39 I'm thinking; Can I trust it?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-Power...item3cba5fcfb0

Any one got an opinion on this, are they ok or am I better of spending a bit more on a know brand?

Thank you
    Grayham

i don't see any problems with that supply, some supplies i like are NEC, Lambda is now made by NEC, Vicor is another but they are expensive. I have seen meanwell mentioned but i have no experance with that brand. The supply i currently use is made by Cosel. as long as it's in the current range and is not damaged it should be fine. Some times capacitors fail but that's easy to see though the holes and easy to repair

Hi Draco

I figure these units are designed for 24 hour, 365 day use so they should be quite robust. I'm going to give one a try.

Thank you for the input
    Grayham

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    i don't see any problems with that supply, some supplies i like are NEC, Lambda is now made by NEC, Vicor is another but they are expensive. I have seen meanwell mentioned but i have no experance with that brand. The supply i currently use is made by Cosel. as long as it's in the current range and is not damaged it should be fine. Some times capacitors fail but that's easy to see though the holes and easy to repair

np if have a questions feel free to ask, i love power supplies
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu