Thread: Where to buy bright dimensionally-packaged diode laser modules?

Default Where to buy bright dimensionally-packaged diode laser modules?

I work on Diode-pumped solid-state lasers and I'm building an improved jig to obtain rough alignment after the laser is reconfigured.

I would just use a laser pointer as my diode-laser source, but I'm looking for a diode laser module that is in a package that I can incorporate into my jig....something dimensional....maybe metal that I can clamp or screw down or something. Where can I buy bare diode-laser modules?

I need to have a visible-light laser to shoot through the various optics of the DPSS laser so that I can put everything in rough alignment before attempting to start up the DPSS laser after working on it. So the laser needs to be visible, but it should probably be red because the optics of the DPSS laser are coated for 1055nm. Then again green lasers are so much brighter than red lasers that it may end up being better for alignment anyway. Does anyone have any experience doing this kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I work on Diode-pumped solid-state lasers and I'm building an improved jig to obtain rough alignment after the laser is reconfigured.

I would just use a laser pointer as my diode-laser source, but I'm looking for a diode laser module that is in a package that I can incorporate into my jig....something dimensional....maybe metal that I can clamp or screw down or something. Where can I buy bare diode-laser modules?

I need to have a visible-light laser to shoot through the various optics of the DPSS laser so that I can put everything in rough alignment before attempting to start up the DPSS laser after working on it. So the laser needs to be visible, but it should probably be red because the optics of the DPSS laser are coated for 1055nm. Then again green lasers are so much brighter than red lasers that it may end up being better for alignment anyway. Does anyone have any experience doing this kind of thing?

These can be found on eBay. Just search "[wavelength/colour] laser module", and you should get results.

You're looking for something like this, correct?:

That was from this search: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

That should do it in terms of packaging, but is 5mW very bright? Because so much light is lost in the optics, I'm looking for as bright of a laser as I can find.

I'm definitely buying at least 10 of those, though, just for my personal stash. That's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    That should do it in terms of packaging, but is 5mW very bright? Because so much light is lost in the optics, I'm looking for as bright of a laser as I can find.

I'm definitely buying at least 10 of those, though, just for my personal stash. That's cheap.
    5mW should be enough. It's not the most visible, but even after optics it should still be visible enough for you to align with.

If you want more visibility, try 532nm green or 635nm red modules. They pack more punch than your average 5mW red pointer module, while still being (reasonably) eye-safe.