Thread: 532 In 588 Out

Default 532 In 588 Out

Does anyone know anything about these frequency conversion crystals?
    It'd be neat to pump with green and get yellow or red out. I'm sure it's not that simple or cheap..
    Probably takes a femtosecond pulse laser or something.
    http://www.ekspla.com/en/main/produc...//1/92?pid=310

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these frequency conversion crystals?
    It'd be neat to pump with green and get yellow or red out. I'm sure it's not that simple or cheap..
    Probably takes a femtosecond pulse laser or something.
    http://www.ekspla.com/en/main/produc...//1/92?pid=310

it takes a doubly resonant cavity with custom optics to pump these materials, yes a very high quality cw pump works (gaussian tem00,small diameter beam, pump m squared better then 1.2) , also a oven, and they are NOT going to tell you how much OC transmission you need etc. Doubly resonant means you have to take your 532 and resonate it around the kgo etc as well as form a colinear resonant cavity for the 588. You'll die of sticker shock when you price the cystal and optics. Design of "delta" cavities is not for the faint of heart, nor is the fact that you will need 2-10 crystals of the material for RandD as they are not all that great in quality control, and very angle sensitive. basic raman works as the square of the square of the incident power, ie
    the conversion numbers they give are VERY optimistic, or are for SRS, stimulated raman scattering in resonance .

I spent 3 years as the chief tech in a raman lab at a university, and I'd hesitate before spending the bucks on those. rememeber ESKA sells to some very high end professionals. If you wnat to try that, start with a custom
    PPLN, its cheaper and doesnt need the resonance. make two yags, one at 1060, the other at 1120,if you can suppress the 1064, which will "jump in" and try to lase over the LOW gain 1120. Then mix them in a ppln. (periodically poled lithum niobate) =532+ 30 = 566 yellow. Or lase the 1318 or 1325 yag lines to get 659. easier. 1318 has about 1/9 the gain of 1064.

BTW, to get some of those SRS wavelengths, your optics have to kill or amplify the other stokes lines as well as resonate.

Also if you have watts of qswitched green, dye lasers are much easier for a hobbyist (I have two to sell right now) and just as good at conversion , raman shifting is used to get some really hard to get wavelengths for medical purposes and for certain yellow yags available off the shelf. Price a chinese yellow yag at 20 or 50 mW, and then figure upgrading that to quality european instrument prices. YIKES, megabucks.

With Qswitched yags, you can do similar things with nonlinear fluids such as nitrobenzene (very toxic) or long hydrogen or duterium gas cells, at 20-200 atmospheres of hydrogen or D2.

However if you'd like to pony up 50-100K and if I could make a deal with two more investers, we could go after
    another market for yellow that is paying much better returns then laser shows........

Steve Roberts
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-11-2007 at 09:29.

Holy sh*t! Youve just jumped over my head with leaps and bounds!
    I can get a "sample" 622 nM LD for 500 usd- that'd probably be the cheapest orange/ yellow would be my guess..
    Thanks for the info--
    Oh that was *you* over on alt.L
    Thanks for the detailed info.

<edit>
    No, I dont have 50-100K to invest at the moment
    Last edited by steve-o; 07-11-2007 at 09:50.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Oh that was *you* over on alt.L
    Hehe... You must have missed his introduction post, Steve-o...

That's right - you guessed it. Mixedgas is also known as "Steve" on alt.lasers. (I'll leave it as an excerse for the other readers to divine his last name.) It shouldn't be too hard. Search through Sam's Laser FAQ and you'll see a ton of articles that have been written by him.

And yeah, the guy is an absolute fountain of information.

Oh, did I mention he'll be at SELEM? Bring your knowledge sponge, dude...

Adam

Oh man! This just keeps getting better...

Anyone here have a use for a 13.5mm x 13.5mm x 25mm KDP crystal?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)