Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing galvos ?

Default Changing galvos ?

Hi All,

I have a couple of lasers, un-named, made in China, one is an RGY 200mW and the other is an RGB 360mW, both have what I have been told are 12K scanners. I was told I could run them at 15K for a short while if needed.

What is needed to change these to better/faster galvos?

Is it just a case of replacing them with better ones?

Are there other things that would need to be done?

Please forgive me, I am very new to lasers, laser components etc., so my questions might be very basic at the moment but my knowledge is improving no end by just reading the posts on Photonlexicon.

Cheers

Andre

Hi Andre

The construction and design of the scanner will limit its max speed but also the driver will play a major part in the performance. Easiest thing to step up performance is to buy a complete scanner set which will come with drivers and often power supply too. Everything else such as the signals from your DAC will be the same its just the scanner drive and PSU you need to changeout.

I see you are in the UK - are we likely to see you in leicester in August for the UK meet - you would be very welcome as will anyone else.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Hi Andre

The construction and design of the scanner will limit its max speed but also the driver will play a major part in the performance. Easiest thing to step up performance is to buy a complete scanner set which will come with drivers and often power supply too. Everything else such as the signals from your DAC will be the same its just the scanner drive and PSU you need to changeout.

I see you are in the UK - are we likely to see you in leicester in August for the UK meet - you would be very welcome as will anyone else.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info, as I said I am very new to all this, like all things the cost comes into at first because you don't want to spend a load of money on something you are not going continue using and/or you are not really aware of all the things you need to know before purchasing a laser. Both of these apply to myself. Wish I had found the Photonlexicon forum before I made any purchases, well you live and learn.

I will do my best to get there, what happens at these events?

Cheers

André

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post

I will do my best to get there, what happens at these events?

we arrive at about 10am (or whenever you can make it) and play with lasers all day until late in the evening. How good is that!
    Seriously though - we do play with lasers all day long! And look at what kit people have and talk photons with like minded nerds - its pretty damn good to be honest. Once you have been to one you waont wanna miss the next!

Some pix of the 2 previous events are here www.ukln.co.uk

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks again for the info. Will do my best to be there. Some good pictures

So we bring what ever lasers we have regardless of how "crap" they might be and how "crap" we might be at designing shows etc

André

Cool

Andre;

These laser enthusiast meetings are for everyone. We started them over here in the US a couple years ago, and we've had 4 of them to date. The guys in the UK are getting ready to hold their second one (or is it the 3rd? I forget) later this summer. But yeah, it's pretty much the same thing no matter which side of the Atlantic you're from.

Everyone brings their lasers, projectors, computers, optics, and other doodads. Then we play! I've seen old-school, all-analog projectors. I've seen brand-new, all-Pangolin setups. I've seen home-made argon power supplies. I've even seen an RGB projector that was assembled on one of the display tables using poster putty and wired with jumper leads. (Sorry - just had to mention that one, Aaron! )

Don't worry about your laser being "crap" or your shows being "crap". Everyone brings their stuff, and we all learn from each other. And one of the coolest effects we had at a recent meet over here in the US was accomplished with nothing more than a red diode laser, a DPSS green laser pointer, and a mirrored ball. (Thanks for that one, Steve-O!) Sometimes less is more...

Trust me when I say that you'll have the time of your life. And you'll learn a lot in the process. I can't recommend these events too strongly. They're really that good.

Adam

Hello again,

For the record, I'd recommend DT40s if you want cheap, reliable scanners and amps.

There's a lot more involved in implementing scanners than the FB3, but I did it with no technical training, so I bet you could too.

There are a plenty of tips on here about them and the manufacturer himself is on here. His name is Jian.

If you feel like splurging, I'd recommend Cambridge hands-down, but DT40s are real decent considering the price break. They work great for me.

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Hello again,

For the record, I'd recommend DT40s if you want cheap, reliable scanners and amps.

There's a lot more involved in implementing scanners than the FB3, but I did it with no technical training, so I bet you could too.

There are a plenty of tips on here about them and the manufacturer himself is on here. His name is Jian.

If you feel like splurging, I'd recommend Cambridge hands-down, but DT40s are real decent considering the price break. They work great for me.

-Jonathan
    Thanks again Jonathan for all the info and for the vote of confidance.
    As I am still pretty new to all this laser stuff, but loving it all the same, the DT40s sound good, yes everyone would love to opt for the better option all the time but price etc can and does hold you back sometimes.
    I know you get what you pay for, but for what I will be using them for I am sure the DT40s will be fine.

Later on I will most probably invest in much better kit to start with as I now have the bug.

I might even ask the guy I bought them from how much he would charge to upgrade them if he does that sort of thing, at least they would still be under guarantee that way.

Cheers

André

If you are really on a budget I'd recommend the laserpic 30K scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    If you are really on a budget I'd recommend the laserpic 30K scanners.
    Cheers Carmangary,

It's not that I am really on a budget, more of a case that I do not want to spend more than I have to and I think paying a lot of money for very good scanners is more than I need at the moment.
    As I progress and learn more and more I can see this being a wonderful but expensive "hobby". I say hobby because even though I do the lighting for my brothers band, I still think of it as playing with something I enjoy rather than a business/professional thing.

André