Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iTunes Music Conversion

Default iTunes Music Conversion

Bah, i've had it with iTunes and all this stupid DRM stuff

I've been trying to get some DJ software to make some nice home mixes, but I can't find any that works with Apple's stupid DRM. I've always believed legal is the best way, and i've spent over £800 in the iTunes store. Now i'm pretty pissed that all the decent DJ software won't work with Apple's DRM.

So, i've downloaded a program called Noteburner. It's a virtual CD burner that automatically strips out the DRM from my iTunes music and converts it to standard MP3 format at the same time. By doing this I can now buy virtually any DJ software

However, I have a question... I will be converting my iTunes store purchases which are in M4P format (or possibly AAC) I think. On the Noteburner software I have various bit rates for saving in MP3, such as, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320 etc. Obviously there's no point in encoding my MP3's at a higher rate than the original Apple format, so what is the optimum bit rate for conversion? Anyone ?

It's really stupid, i've tried to stay legal and have never been bothered about converting my music, but this DRM is just completely stopping me doing what I want to do, and what I want to do is perfectly legal as I purchsed the music fair and square.

Anyway, I hope someone can help me with my question , also does anyone have an opinion as to what's the best DJ software available?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

are you looking at making music or mixing music?

and with music editing you should always use the best quality!

but its pointless to use a bit rate higher than the previous like you said.
    -Josh

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    are you looking at making music or mixing music?
    Just mixing music

and with music editing you should always use the best quality!

but its pointless to use a bit rate higher than the previous like you said.
    Yep, I understand about the best quality, but which Mp3 bitrate should I use to match the iTunes store downloaded files?

Thanks for the advice and help though

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

im not sure sure because i have never used i tunes to download music sorry.

have you ever thought about recording your live mixing with serato scratch live?

lots of my old dj friends liked to use this method to mix the music from their computer to the turn tables and then record the output of the two back to their computer.

what kind of music do you mix?
    -Josh

im not sure sure because i have never used i tunes to download music sorry.
    No worries, hopefully someone else will chime in at this point

have you ever thought about recording your live mixing with serato scratch live?

lots of my old dj friends liked to use this method to mix the music from their computer to the turn tables and then record the output of the two back to their computer.
    I just want to do some very basic mixes, nothing special really

what kind of music do you mix?
    Err... Are you sure you really want to know... Ah, go on then seeing as you asked

I'm just turned 50 and the seventies was my era . I want to mix all my old 70's disco music for a party we're having at Christmas. I used to be a DJ in the 70's & early 80's

well, you did ask

Jem

Default mp3 bit rate

i allways use 192kbs when converting and burning mp3 cds to play in the car and they all sound good to me

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    i allways use 192kbs when converting and burning mp3 cds to play in the car and they all sound good to me
    Ahh, that's good news as that's what i'm using at the moment. I just wondered if that was the optimum for quality compared to the Apple format. Thanks Badger.

Jem

awesome! you better share some of the mixes!
    -Josh

awesome! you better share some of the mixes!
    You're joking, right?

In my heyday we didn't go in for all that scratchy stuff, it was just good old fashioned mixing, trying to find tracks with similar beats to blend seamlessly together. I guess you could say I was something of a pioneer

That's what i'm trying to recreate using modern technology.

Jem

no not kidding! i love pretty much every kind of music!

and im also not into the scratching and "rap/hip hop" style mixing.

all my dj friends did as you same seemless mixing to try and make the best match from song to song. with house music and other electronic style music.
    -Josh