Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laserscope KTP

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I want to see the 690 nm red conversion that Anderson lasers (DNA Equipment's parent, litterally) has done to ktps.
    18 watts of even 690 has to scatter off smoke pretty well.

I want one in the basement to pump a 630 red dye, heck split off 10% and drive a dye, and tune through red to yellow.You now have Fakafloyd(tm) simulated copper and gold vapor. Fakafloyd is now a trademark of mixedgas and must be used with permission. I figgure about 1-2 hour of dye use if the focus mirror in the dye can take it. Since a 580 dye goes for 100$ or less on the bay........ and I have two dye heads in my basement.

If you want to try to scan graphics, Pat Murphy, the cofounder of pangolin, suggested having every other frame at a slightly different scan rate, to "fill in the dashes" we tried it with LMR's copper vapor, in 1996, works nicely.

When I was a spotter on a show with a 50 watt Lee with much worse D/D then a laserscope, we managed to put a LM style test pattern on a building 1 mile away, that was about it graphics wise. Text was limited to say 4-5 letters of the right stick font. Words like "DUH" came through nicely. We did much better using the smaller cvl beam in tests, some graphics shows looked pretty good in a 1" beam

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I want to see the 690 nm red conversion...I have two dye heads in my basement.

If you want to try to scan graphics, Pat Murphy, the cofounder of pangolin, suggested having every other frame at a slightly different scan rate, to "fill in the dashes" we tried it with LMR's copper vapor, in 1996, works nicely.
    Hey Steve -

RE: Red, LSDI out of FL did a 660nm 20W (I believe) conversion years ago, and they were even marketing it on their site for awhile - gone, now, I assume it got burnt up and was too costly or fickle to bother, but here's a shot they used to have up...I take to your point!!

RE: dye heads, we have some good-condition coherent dye-head (model 599 (??) optics if you want them - you pay for postage, they're yours... we tried to use them for mini-KTP head experiments, but the curvatures were not really useable... dye lasers are really cool...I especially like to hit a little glass vial we have of that rhodamine with 532 - glows like a nuclear vitamin pill! (and yes, we know it's toxic - don't worry, we won't drink or bathe in it!

RE: KTP quazi-CW tricks - yes, this is a very good tip - even works with just logos - see pics at bottom of here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...5&postcount=40 - just make them 2 or 3 frames long and adjust each one for that particular logos' characteristics (based on points, etc) - works better for shows with a lot of variety of scan-speeds for each anim/logo/scene, vs using a 'global' technique like adjusting the Q-Sw drivers' rep rate - (which can be risky to KTP if done wrong)... and RE: collimation - we get very good results with a particular sweet spot we found...can email as a PDF for anyone who wants it...

ciao-
    - j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20W_Red.jpg  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

RE: Red, LSDI out of FL did a 660nm 20W (I believe) conversion years ago
    I remember either 99 or 2000 going to either an ILDA or Pangolin meet when they had a monster red going. Might have been the 20W 660nm. I remember that it was pulsed, they used no blanking device at all, just went straight to the scan head. Throwing about 100 feet or so, the beam was about the size of a record. Yet it still looked fantastic in the well lit parking lot!

Lightbulb

LSDI, they're down here in O Town correct? Phyllis mailed me some mirror mounts for the G120s. I need to run over to their offices to see what they have. They seem like cool cats.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    LSDI, they're down here in O Town correct? Phyllis mailed me some mirror mounts for the G120s. I need to run over to their offices to see what they have. They seem like cool cats.
    Hey Allthat...

4625 Winter Garden Road
    Suite A-2
    Orlando, Florida 32811-1777
    Phone: 407-299-9504

I'd recommend giving a quick call, as I am sure you know how busy they typically are, but Greg is really nice, and will make the time to chat, but again, best to call first and set somethin up...

IF you end up going over there, as long as you're at it, ask 'em what happened to their red monster and bring us some news!! Would love to hear more about what happened to the beast...ALSO if they are willing to show you / share the latest updated performance specs from the RGB Systems (Hungary) 4W, since they are the US dealers, and what improvements they've (RGB) made since the 1st-Gen alignment issues they used to have (the 2W unit was awful!) - thanks, in advance!

- j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Lee laser made the big red. Greg is a dealer for lee. Lee is also here in orlando, about 2mins from me. I don't know if greg still has the converted unit or maybe it was just a loan. I'm sure we can ask greg a bit more-
    I dont think it caught on very well though
    go big or go home

Cool

Why don't one of you guys invite them to FLEM Mark II? Ok, we're small potatoes compared to the customers they normally deal with, but coherent light is coherent light, right? Maybe they'd like to drop in and geek out with us for a couple hours?

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

I thought about it. but since zurcher wont be around to keep things running smoothly, and since i am assigned to keep an eye on what your doing, there just wont be anyone else to help them out if something should arise
    go big or go home

Wink

Last edited by allthatwhichis; 09-07-2008 at 10:58.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

18 zorgawatts of red, thanks for posting that pic. I gotta have it. I'll pay postage on the mirrors, thanks for the offer.

Steve