Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laserworld - dodgy dealings

Thumbs down Laserworld Review - dodgy dealings

Laserworld Review

I know, the titles a bit strong, but read on and tell me that it isn't that way

The saga starts with these initial posts on this forum, upon the arrival of the laser.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...?t=4140&page=3

After the keyswitch failed there was no doubt that the laser had to go back to Germany for repair, however given the turn that our email correspondence had taken, I was now looking to simply return it for a refund as I'm entitled to as it was not functioning as it should have been.

Whilst agreeeing to take the item back for testing and repair, Martin did point out that if it was found to not be faulty I would be liable for any return postage back to me. Alarm bells rang at this point, so I shot a small video of the problem with the keyswitch as 'insurance'. (attached)

Lo and behold, a few days later I received an email to say that the laser had been received, with everything working fine and the scanners perfectly tuned and over 300mW output.

At this point I simply responded to say that I just wanted a refund as I was sick of the whole process and just wanted to be done with ever dealing with the company again.

The reply I got now said that unfortunately the laser had damage to the glass at the front and to the fan at the back and that it would be chargeable! To say I was gobsmacked at the audacity is an understatement!

I responded, explaining that if the damage did indeed exist then the DHL slip would be marked as such (obviously) and why didn't he explain the damage in his email previously that had said they'd received the laser and it was all working fine?

The next day I received a refund, minus 10% charge as the laser was used?! I appreciate there is a restocking charge if you simply decide you don't want the item and its used, but in this case it was not working correctly and had been offered a refund if it was found to be not working.

For the sake of the £30 its really not worth pursuing further, as it had already taken up too much of my time and energy, however if I can raise other peoples awareness to the what i consider 'dodgy' methods that this company/man will stoop to, and indirectly hurt his pocket, then it is worth the money lost.

A quote from buffo in the other thread I think sums it all up...

Perhaps they're not used to selling their less-expensive projectors to informed hobbyists like yourself and they were just backpedaling like crazy when you pointed out their mistakes. But they need to fix it. Just because it's not their most expensive projector doesn't mean it's OK to have a broken keyswitch, or to send it out with lousy tuning. Don't let them off the hook!
    I think a nose was put out of joint early on in this process, and unfortunately he had resolved to screw me for what he could. Not good business sense given the all pervading nature of the internet these days. I'm tempted to post the URL of this post in the negative ebay feedback and see if anything more comes of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by norty303; 04-12-2008 at 02:57.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

I'm starting to see why you guys all build your own lasers.
    At least that way you know the spec of each component and don't risk buying a black box with Lord knows what inside.

A bit surprised at Laserworld as they advertise heavily on Ebay and I was under the impression that they were a reputable company.

Much like car insurance though, you only find out how good a company is when things go wrong ........

I'm sure they shift a lot of units and for a good price, however i just got the impression that as i'd got a good deal, they couldn't/wouldn't support it and were prepared to resort to lies and deceit to cover any loses they might have incurred out of having to fulfil their obligations.

norty-

i feel for ya man! theres NOTHING worse in this world then KNOWING you are getting screwed and there isnt a DAMN thing you can do about it!!

A little comfort for you is in the fact that you posted your experience here very "professionally" (not mother f*ckin the guy or swearing or being rude and bashing) and you were to the point! Even if one person heeds your personal experience and doesnt purchase anything from laserworld, than you succeeded in "gettin back at them" the right way.

This forum has become QUITE a reference for laserists around the world. hobbyists and pros alike. Also, we show up GREAT in google searches! so, anyone trying to get a little more info about "laserworld" may just come across these threads first and re-consider their choices.

Its kinda surprising, up until your experience i had heard many decent things about laserworld.

of course EVERY company has a right to their share of problems. OF COURSE things will break and go wrong when you sell a product...BUT....how you handle that problem and handle that customer will speak volumes of your integrity as a business. laserworld seems to have chosen the wrong way and i am quite sure will lose a few customers over this!

-Marc

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    .. we show up GREAT in google searches....
    True.
    And if someone were to post Laserworld review in bold letters that would show up even more.

Actually surprisingly, searching for laserworld review turns this thread up on page 2 of Google already!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    A bit surprised at Laserworld as they advertise heavily on Ebay and I was under the impression that they were a reputable company.
    Hmm - I don't want to judge any company or competitor here.
    Just a general question/comment about selling in Ebay:
    Is heavy advertising in Ebay a good reputation in your eyes???
    It is interesting to hear that the quantity of products offered in Ebay is a measurement for the quality of the seller.
    My experience with Ebay is, that in many cases, there is absolutely nothing behind the great storefront.

Greetings

Joachim
    Producer of EasyLase USB and NetLase
    Lasershow software DYNAMICS

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
    ... Is heavy advertising in Ebay a good reputation in your eyes???
    It is interesting to hear that the quantity of products offered in Ebay is a measurement for the quality of the seller....
    If you take a look at their rep then they have sold over 1,500 products with a feeedback score of 99%.
    My opinion of them as a company is formed on that basis (correctly or wrongly).
    However, as I said, you only find out how a good a company is when things don't run smoothly.
    Smogs experience with SilverRay is another indication of how a company reacts to a less than 100% initial customer experience and forums like this are an excellent sounding board for "the man on the street" to give his opinion (in addition to ebay feedback/advertising).

I think the feedback score is more about how fast they ship and such (at least for most buyers).

As soon as they receive the product, most people just give positive feedback

And even if you give negative, often the response from the seller just makes it look as if it was your fault in the first place.

And where there was a real issue, you often see feedback mutually withdrawn, I guess because the seller has finally said they'd sort the problem, so long as the negative is withdrawn. They shouldn't need to be backed into a corner like that.

So all you end up with is positive, neutral or withdrawn feedback, not a very good indicator of how they treat their customers.