Thread: CLEANING

Default CLEANING

ok, this isnt too "advanced" of a question but i didnt want to clog up other areas of the forum with this.

whats the best for cleaning optics? isopropyl alcohol? acetone? or methyl alcohol? or none of the above?

i have PLENTY of the cloth tipped q-tips and actual optic grade cleaning aparatus. (it helps when your pops makes medical grade fiber optics for endoscopes!!! ) but they deal with some pretty nasty chemicals. i *THINK* for industrial laser optics (scanner mirrors, dichros, beam steer mirrors) ipa alcohol??

thanks

-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    ok, this isnt too "advanced" of a question but i didnt want to clog up other areas of the forum with this.

whats the best for cleaning optics? isopropyl alcohol? acetone? or methyl alcohol? or none of the above?

i have PLENTY of the cloth tipped q-tips and actual optic grade cleaning aparatus. (it helps when your pops makes medical grade fiber optics for endoscopes!!! ) but they deal with some pretty nasty chemicals. i *THINK* for industrial laser optics (scanner mirrors, dichros, beam steer mirrors) ipa alcohol??

thanks

-Marc
    or methanol

i prefer reagent grade acetone and lens tissue

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

acetone for greasey stuff like smoke machine residue and fingerprints
    methanol for the final cleaning.

in a rare case, 3% hydrogen peroxide for really nasty fingerprints on dichroics, but NOt on silver or enhanced silver.

Steve

Where do you buy the cleaning stuff? I know I can get acetone from the hardware store. Is it clean enough or do I need a better grade? I have no idea where to get methanol.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Where do you buy the cleaning stuff? I know I can get acetone from the hardware store. Is it clean enough or do I need a better grade? I have no idea where to get methanol.
    IMHO I do not think that the acetone from a hardware store is good enough. I got mine from someone that bought it in bulk, I probably only have a pint in a glass bottle left. Mixed gas probably has a source where to get some in less than a gallon quantities because these chemicals are considered dangerous and can be used in the manufacture of street drugs. You should await an answer from Steve (mixed gas)

I use Isopropyl, Acetone does the job, but whatever you do don't let Acetone get near diffraction gratings.... It will ruin them...