Thread: Max Wood Cutting Thickness with 2W 445nm

Default Max Wood Cutting Thickness with 2W 445nm

Hello,
    I recently purchased a 2W 445NM laser from DTR and a SXD X Drive also from DTR. I would like to TTL control the laser to engrave wood, cut wood, and make some PCBs via paint resist. What is the maximum thickness of wood I can cut with this? I'd like to be able to cut at least 1/4" solid hardwoods like mahogany or oak. I am using a custom built 3D printer for my laser setup so I can move in the Z direction (actually the XY stays put and the Z Bed moves up and done). It is a CoreXY setup.
    Thanks!

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you're not going to cut 1/4" sold hardwood with a 2W 445 diode...

at least not without making a lot of passes, refocusing each pass, and using air assist. your best best is c02 laser.

Quote Originally Posted by phinsil6 View Post
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a 2W 445NM laser from DTR and a SXD X Drive also from DTR. I would like to TTL control the laser to engrave wood, cut wood, and make some PCBs via paint resist. What is the maximum thickness of wood I can cut with this? I'd like to be able to cut at least 1/4" solid hardwoods like mahogany or oak. I am using a custom built 3D printer for my laser setup so I can move in the Z direction (actually the XY stays put and the Z Bed moves up and done). It is a CoreXY setup.
    Thanks!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    you're not going to cut 1/4" sold hardwood with a 2W 445 diode...

at least not without making a lot of passes, refocusing each pass, and using air assist. your best best is c02 laser.
    What do you think my limits would be? Would a 100W Co2 work? Not real familiar with what is needed with the CO2 laser setups.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by phinsil6 View Post
    What do you think my limits would be? Would a 100W Co2 work? Not real familiar with what is needed with the CO2 laser setups.
    yes, i would think so.. you'll require air assist.

and now the bad news:

you can use a lens with a shorter focal length to maximize your energy density and reduce the kerf. the problem is the shorter your focal length, the shallower the depth of field (beam waist) of the focused laser.

the upshot of this is if your focal length is too short, the edges of your cuts will be angled instead of nice perpendicular lines.

DOF = 2.5 * wavelength * (f/D)2

you're going to want to use ~100mm focal length lens. that will give you a dof of ~4mm.

here's some great information: http://www.parallax-tech.com/faq.htm

it is not impossible to build your own laser cutter. i built mine. however, it is a bit of a challenge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xle-lpf.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	49007
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.