Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DT40 Pros just making squiggly lies, help!

Default DT40 Pros just making squiggly lies, help!

After not being used since NYE, a friend of mine fired up his laser (which is still sitting in the same spot), and to our dismay the output is all screwed up. Rather than try to explain the problem, there are 2 images attached: One is of the QS screen, the other actual output.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140322_170221.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	42646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140322_170231.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	42647

They worked fine before, any ideas?

Might want to check for a loose ground, pin 25 on your ilda cable. Also check the ground on the input to your amps.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Do you have axis reverse switches? Try moving them a few times if so. DZ had some problems with his switches for his breakout boards that looked similar.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Ok, so I checked grounds & switches, no change...the y axis scans full height even when I swap the x & y amps, so I guess the y galvo is fucked.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    Ok, so I checked grounds & switches, no change...the y axis scans full height...so I guess the y galvo is..
    ..Wait, you mean the X? In any-case.. I'd a) check the cables, connecting the amps to the galvos; ie: when you did your 'amp-swap test', did you disconnect the amp-side only? Or the galvo-side only? I ask, because you should try both, in case one-cable / connector, has a bad pin (yes, I've seen cables 'go bad', just 'sitting', for some time.. it's the same voodoo that causes those incurable ground-loops.. jk.. If one of the PD (position-detectors) is not getting back to the amp, that can present like 'spaghetti', like that..

b) If all that checks out, try (after turning OFF the amps / signal.. see how the (suspected) bad galvo 'feels', when you (gently) grab the mirror by the edges and 'rotate' it back / forth.. Does it feel 'gritty' or 'tight'? It does-seem that some-brands of 'Chivos' lube tends to 'gum-up', after sitting awhile.. Of course, that should rarely, if-ever, happen in galvos, but.. Whattya expect for $29.95..

..Just a couple quick-thoughts, fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ..Wait, you mean the X? In any-case.. I'd a) check the cables, connecting the amps to the galvos; ie: when you did your 'amp-swap test', did you disconnect the amp-side only? Or the galvo-side only? I ask, because you should try both, in case one-cable / connector, has a bad pin (yes, I've seen cables 'go bad', just 'sitting', for some time.. it's the same voodoo that causes those incurable ground-loops.. jk.. If one of the PD (position-detectors) is not getting back to the amp, that can present like 'spaghetti', like that..

b) If all that checks out, try (after turning OFF the amps / signal.. see how the (suspected) bad galvo 'feels', when you (gently) grab the mirror by the edges and 'rotate' it back / forth.. Does it feel 'gritty' or 'tight'? It does-seem that some-brands of 'Chivos' lube tends to 'gum-up', after sitting awhile.. Of course, that should rarely, if-ever, happen in galvos, but.. Whattya expect for $29.95..

..Just a couple quick-thoughts, fwiw..
    j
    Ok, isn't y the vertical axis? If it's not, then the x axis is fucked!! I disconnected & reconnected at the amp & the galvos (and all other connectors that I could get at), but I did the swap on the galvo side. The problem was identical, except that the image was rotated 90 degrees (when scanned at 6000 pps the image can be made out). I already put it back together so I cannot check the galvos manually. Regardless, it's under warranty from Goldenstar so I am just going send the whole damn thing back for repairs.

You might reconsider sending the whole thing back when you see the shipping costs
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    You might reconsider sending the whole thing back when you see the shipping costs
    Honestly Norty if it's less than a couple hundred bucks, it's worth it. It's a really small projector with a lot of shit jammed inside, I'm not comfortable removing parts from it.

If you have reversed amp with galvos and X/Y inputs and the problem is not found, try to shunt ILDA or DMX card for X/Y signals input ...please refer to ILDA Pinout datasheet for connections...

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    ...Regardless, it's under warranty from Goldenstar so..
    Shame you have to do that.. Too-bad they can't just send a new galvo-block / amps, but like you say, perhaps it's too 'gory' in there to-bother.. re: X vs Y, no, yer correct, but I guess I was just not-understanding what you were explaining.. (if the Y is scanning 'full-height', well, it's at least doing that... But that doesn't mean it's still not *'d ..I think I've gotcha now.. 'Looking better at 6K' sounds more like it might be bad lube / bearings, than PD... but like you say, 'regardless'...

..Welp, I guess yer prolly all-set.. Hope they cure the cut for ya..
    cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...