Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's the verdict? Are the diodes the same for the 130 and 140 models?

Default So what's the verdict? Are the diodes the same for the 130 and 140 models?

Has anyone bought the 130? Or has everyone just gone straight for the 140?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I have three 130s to be delivered to me today so there will be some research on those, and most of the work that's been done on LPF has been done using 130 diodes. I think the general consensus is that they are the same, though.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Has anyone bought the 130? Or has everyone just gone straight for the 140?
    They were same price at Best Buy... I went for the 140.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    They were same price at Best Buy... I went for the 140.
    not anymore, $849 plus tax for the 140 at best buy now

Cool

Wonder if enough of these things have been sold yet such that the retailers (Best Buy, etc) have noticed an uptick in sales?

I kinda doubt it, since I don't believe laser enthusiast's have purchased more than a couple hundred units so far. I'd expect the global sales rate of these things to be at least an order of magnitude higher than that.

Still, it will be interesting to see what happens to the supply of these projectors over time. It could be that in time, despite the fact that they're not well-received by the projector-buying public, the laser community will end up artificially inflating the perceived market acceptance of these units...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Wonder if enough of these things have been sold yet such that the retailers (Best Buy, etc) have noticed an uptick in sales?

I kinda doubt it, since I don't believe laser enthusiast's have purchased more than a couple hundred units so far. I'd expect the global sales rate of these things to be at least an order of magnitude higher than that.

Still, it will be interesting to see what happens to the supply of these projectors over time. It could be that in time, despite the fact that they're not well-received by the projector-buying public, the laser community will end up artificially inflating the perceived market acceptance of these units...

Adam
    And that's bad why?

At least it would make it look good that laser-powered projectors are "good"

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Smile

Neither good or bad, just interesting.

I'm curious as to what Casio will do when they figure out what is going on, that's all. Though in fairness, we may be such a small impact that they never figure it out. (Unless they find out through other channels, that is.)

In other news, some people have reported that they've been approached by middle-men trying to sell bare diodes in bulk. So even if Casio does decide to discontinue this design at some point, it's possible that there will be other sources of cheap blue diodes. I know I'll be watching from the sidelines...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Neither good or bad, just interesting.

I'm curious as to what Casio will do when they figure out what is going on, that's all. Though in fairness, we may be such a small impact that they never figure it out. (Unless they find out through other channels, that is.)

In other news, some people have reported that they've been approached by middle-men trying to sell bare diodes in bulk. So even if Casio does decide to discontinue this design at some point, it's possible that there will be other sources of cheap blue diodes. I know I'll be watching from the sidelines...

Adam
    hopefully they offer replacement lamps to the general public for $200, lol

We need to know the threshold of both diodes, for the 140 model its arround 200mA, but what about the 130 model?

It may skew the failure rate numbers a bit, as the disassembled ones will never need warranty repairs.

I'm curious to hear what the difference is as well. 130's are going for $700 cdn. Tempted to pick one up and sit on it for awhile, maybe watch a few movies . Especially hearing people have already contacted casio regarding the ease of removal, I certainly hope not, but there's a possibility they may get scarce again.