Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good fan for a small argon?

Default Recommend a good fan for a small argon?

Hello,
    I just got my hands on a small single line JDSU argon head (2214-30SL) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good fan to use with this unit. I've been browsing e-bay but I haven't found anything yet that looks just right. What kind of CFM do these heads need? I was thinking around 200cfm.

This head has less than 1% total usage and I want to keep her in good shape! Thanks!

200cfm should suffice. But when it comes to cooling, it's tough to have too much.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    200cfm should suffice. But when it comes to cooling, it's tough to have too much.
    rotron patriot, easily available new or used, 250 cfm or more into a stalled load, and usually puts out 300-400 cfm for the 110VAC version.

if used, get one with good bearings. DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS INA PATRIOT, IT is a reincarnated shark :-)

btw standard dryer duct adpaters will neck a patriot down to a jdsu hose.

Steve

I'll have to watch my fingers around it

Thanks for the info! The tube has the original 'adaptor' still on the end of it, so that should make things a bit easier to get everything hooked up. I'll keep an eye out for one of those blowers. Any idea on how much they usually go for used?

EDIT: FOund one... wow, I see what you're talking about with the shark thing!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Comair-Rotron-Pa...3286.m20.l1116

LOL !!!!

I see those sharp bits on the outside units of air conditioners at school. One easy way to stop kids blocking the fan off I guess

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS IN A PATRIOT, IT is a reincarnated shark :-)
    HAHAHA! Voice of experience there, Steve?

Adam

Is there any way I can run a fan from the tube voltage or the cathode voltage??

The reason I ask is becuase one of the wires inside the laser was cut, and looked like it had something else clamped in line with it at some point. The only thing I could think of was a fan.

I'm guessing it's probably best to power the fan separately.... I'm just trying to figure out why this wire was cut. I'll get some pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    Is there any way I can run a fan from the tube voltage or the cathode voltage??

The reason I ask is becuase one of the wires inside the laser was cut, and looked like it had something else clamped in line with it at some point. The only thing I could think of was a fan.

I'm guessing it's probably best to power the fan separately.... I'm just trying to figure out why this wire was cut. I'll get some pictures!
    NO, the cathode V is very critical. needs to stay at either 2.65 or 3.2V Dont even Thimk about it.

your looking odds are, at a wire that changes settings in the psu or a spare.

Steve

Wire it directly to the mains; 115 (or 230VAC-European) from the wall outlet through a separate switch. That way, when you cut the tube power off, the fan stays on and cooling will continue. Dont cool the tube heatink all the way to ambient, though, on power-down; usually cut the fan off at about ~150 degrees F. I put a deep-fry thermometer with heatsink grease on the tube heatsink fins right by the over-temp sensor to keem an eye on things, just for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Wire it directly to the mains; 115 (or 230VAC-European) from the wall outlet through a separate switch. That way, when you cut the tube power off, the fan stays on and cooling will continue. Dont cool the tube heatink all the way to ambient, though, on power-down; usually cut the fan off at about ~150 degrees F. I put a deep-fry thermometer with heatsink grease on the tube heatsink fins right by the over-temp sensor to keem an eye on things, just for that reason.
    I'd love to see what happens if you do that with a tube with fins at potential like a NL or NEC?

If you wire that fan to the mains, add a interlock relay from the fan to the psu remote interlock.

steve