Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin "LA Freak??"

Default Pangolin "LA Freak??"

Couple simple questions-

1. This is USB powered and controlled correct?
    2. Will this work well, *NON DMX* in a nightclub? in other words, will this easily interface with a laptop or existing lighting computer? (running martins light jockey)
    3. if it IS run DMX, what parameters are controllable? color? beam placements? how is text and/or other patterns made??

which brings me to...

4. Is text avaialble to the user in this?? Can the lighting guy easily type in, "Free shots for the hot ladies!" with this program and controller?

obviously its analog out? NOT just TTL?

5. are custom shows and/or programs simple and easy to set up with this in DMX mode OR computer mode??

6. Who do i contact ( i know pangolin, but someone told me someone on this forum is a rep i believe...)

As always, thanks for your help!
    -Marc

Hello,

http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

Well from what I've been told and read so far..

1. It is USB powered and controlled. As well as DMX
    2. You won't NEED DMX to run it in a club, but you will have to use your computer
    3. Don't know that one
    4. I read somewhere, maybe it's not with the livequick software, but it said something about true text, such as just typing it in.
    5. I wouldn't know about the DMX, but I'm pretty sure there are a few pre-programmed shows on livequick and it's not hard to make one, as there are preset patterns. Or you can just draw your own
    6. Pangolin is on this forum as well, assuming when you said Pangolin, you meant the companies site. Message "Pangolin" on here, he is very helpful. Or you can go to pangolin.com/contact

If you get the Pangolin Flashback 3 (FB3) with the DMX daughterboard attached (which I have - check directly with Pangolin for the latest package price options), you can control it with your computer through a USB connection, OR through a DMX controller. You can't do both at the same time - a live USB connection overrides the DMX port. Also, the FB3 can be programmed to automatically cycle through onboard images - no controller required at all after programming!

You CAN wire the FB3 to be powered from the USB bus through a separate USB plug, but for long-term use you'll probably be better off using some other 5VDC power source, such as a low-amperage "wall wart" power supply. Out of the box, the power connection on the FB3 is completely separate from the USB port.

The basic computer software that comes with the FB3 includes LiveQuick, which is an application that allows you to play any of 9 pages of pre-programmed cues (actually stored in the FB3's onboard memory), with up to 48 cues per page (whew!), all at a single mouse click. You can also control color, intensity, position, fading, etc. For DMX control, you'll need at least a 16-channel controller, and will basically have the same control of the FB3 as you do when using LiveQuick on the computer - except you'll be using the DMX controls instead of a mouse - no computer - and you won't be able to "preview" what you're getting ready to display - everything happens "real time" when using DMX. You can, however, preset cues and series of cues into DMX "scenes" or "programs" for the DMX controllers that include those functions.

If you get the LAStudio package, the ShowRider software will let you create custom images, text effects, etc., and put together and control complete shows from your computer. This also gives you "real time" computer-generated images & control - ShowRider sends the image data to the FB3 instead of loading it from the onboard memory - but you have the advantage of being able to preview what you're getting ready to display.

You could save frames (including text) created in ShowRider or other compatible applications and pre-load them into the FB3 onboard memory slots for playback later using DMX, LiveQuick, or automatic playback, but you won't be able to do any practical editing on the fly with this method - playback control is about the only thing you get with preloaded frames, but in many cases that's probably enough!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-12-2007 at 16:52.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Couple simple questions-
    4. Is text avaialble to the user in this?? Can the lighting guy easily type in, "Free shots for the hot ladies!" with this program and controller?
    There must be a DMX printout. IF not ask Bill from Pangolin. Use this printout to make a profile in LightJockey and you are set.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

ALSO -

The FB3 does not come with TTL outputs (possibly a special-order option?- check with Pangolin).

It does include a shutter signal, single-end XY scanner control, and RGB 0-5v modulation.

If you get the DMX daughterboard, DMX control is DMX IN only - no DMX output.

The software applications that comes with it are all Windows-based applications that run just fine on Windows XP laptops - you might want to check with Pangolin if you want to run on Windows Vista. The LiveQuick application (formerly "Samba") is also the application you use to update the firmware on the FB3 board if needed.

PM me if you need a copy of the Pangolin-supplied DMX chart for the FB3.

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Couple simple questions-

1. This is USB powered and controlled correct?
    2. Will this work well, *NON DMX* in a nightclub? in other words, will this easily interface with a laptop or existing lighting computer? (running martins light jockey)
    3. if it IS run DMX, what parameters are controllable? color? beam placements? how is text and/or other patterns made??

which brings me to...

obviously its analog out? NOT just TTL?

5. are custom shows and/or programs simple and easy to set up with this in DMX mode OR computer mode??

6. Who do i contact ( i know pangolin, but someone told me someone on this forum is a rep i believe...)

As always, thanks for your help!
    -Marc
    Hey GLL,

1) It is powered by a small 5V power supply. I have made an adapter for mine that plugs into the USB port on the board then the USB cable plugs into that. There is a basically limitless supply of 5V coming from the computer and the board only uses about 300mA.

2)This is plug and play, plug in the device, put in the CD and then click play. It's really that simple.

3)You load patterns/frames into the memory card, you can control these over DMX.

4) You can easily type in whatever you want and it will show up. Very easy.
    Yes, it is Analogue!

5)Yes, this includes LA Studio, a professional design suite, one of the best software from what I have heard. It comes with lots of shows.

6) Go to the order page on Pangolin website. In the other box, put that you would like the LA Freak Kit for $500 and mention photon lexicon.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

thank you ALL very much!!!

I got to order a couple of these i think. seems like its the most user friendly for club type installations for BASIC lighting system techs!

-Marc

Smile

Marc;

Yeah, the FB3 was designed as a stand-alone controller, so it's inherently friendly to your average nightclub "lighting dude". (You know the guy I'm talking about - the one that can operate the DMX board with a blindfold on but can't figure out how to reboot his computer!)

However, it's just as easy to use a laptop to run the thing, if you happen to have a lighting guy that also knows how to use a mouse and keyboard.

In fact, you can even operate it without *any* control input. Just program it with a bunch of patterns, and when you power it up it takes off and starts displaying...

Give Pangolin a call and ask to speak with Bill Benner. He's a member here, but he's also the president of Pangolin. He'll be able to answer any questions you might have.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    In fact, you can even operate it without *any* control input. Just program it with a bunch of patterns, and when you power it up it takes off and starts displaying...
    Is it possible to have more than one frame displaying when you start-up? So like start-up with a (animated) logo, then after 10 seconds switch to the next animated logo, and so on?

Yep, you can "link" image cues and adjust their playback length for automatic playback - pretty cool for "stand alone" operation!
    RR

Sweet.....