Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another laser building threat

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Default Another laser building threat

Hello everyone
    I have waited long enough... watched too many youtube vids... it is time now for action!
    So, finally, my laser building threat. I am thinking of an as cheap as possible projector, which can do at least (safe) beam shows and maybe graphics (is 20K enough for graphic shows?). Power output will be something of 100-300 mW.
    Money doesn't matter that much (but not too much, of course), it's just the more expensive it is, how longer it will take.
    My dad will install a new pc later this evening, and on/at/up the cellar - I am really not good with prepositions, forgive me - there are plenty of old computers waiting for me to be turned into a laser. The benefits of your dad being a computer technic!
    My first question is: I own a DVD-burner now, and after many hours of careful breakdown I finally discovered the diodes. Now I only have to solder them out. But will this break the diodes? Can they withstand the heat? Our soldering iron is a bit old, and it takes a while to solder things.

Thanks to all who wants to answer my questions,
    Florian

what is the rating on the dvd burner? like 6x or 20 times or 16x?

and you will still need something like a aixiz modules to put the diode in and it has a lens in it already to adjust to get a small beam.

also with the heat issue. diodes are very heat sensitive and you should only have the soldering iron touch it for a few seconds AT MOST!

i usually spend about a second on each pin and also allow it to cool between each pin.

take your time. and also you will need a driver for the diode, and also a heat sink if you plan on running it for long periods of time. a flexmod1 driver would be a great driver since you will need it to be modulated for scanning.
    -Josh

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    what is the rating on the dvd burner? like 6x or 20 times or 16x?
    I don't know exactly what you mean with that. On the enclosure stands "Rating: +5V - 1600 mA / +12V - 1600 mA" Maybe that is what you mean.

Thanks for the tip about the soldering! You have just saved two diodes. Our iron can't do it within a second, so we have to invest in a new one.
    I am looking for a driver, but I am not hurried. First have a case.

Florian

well what i mean by rating is the speed at which it can burn dvds?

i wouldnt recommend anything under 16x

usually the higher the speed the higher power diode
    -Josh

"Florian "

mmm , unusual name ..seems to ring a bell ..why do i connct "florian" to manchester ?
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Perhaps you are thinking of Florian Schneider from Kraftwerk, Ja?

Should look it up. Florian is commonly used in Germany and Austria, and the last ten years the name rises in Belgium (btw is 'to rise' a good context? I don't want any misunderstandings due to translation faults)

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

You could say "the popularity of the name has risen" to avoid any saucy boys making some inappropriate connotations.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    You could say "the popularity of the name has risen" to avoid any saucy boys making some inappropriate connotations.
    ... or angry English teachers.

Default My progress after 2 days...

... absolutly nothing!
    Our soldering iron is crap and I haven't got a chance to replace it. I guess the burner is rated 16x, but I am not sure.
    I found this: www.elektor.nl/projecteren-op-100-en-meters.645776.lynkx (in Dutch). Has anyone tried it? Is it worth to buy the magazine?