Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fogscreen II: Electric Boogaloo!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That seems to work pretty well. in the first video it seemed to only come from one row of tubes. Is that correct? If so, what are the other rows for?
    What do you use as a fog source? What is the duty cycle?
    The fog only comes from one row. The other tubes provide a laminar column of air. Think of it like a sandwich. The outer layers of air are moving in the same direction and speed as the inner (fog) layer. The air mass is also very uniform; coherent (for lack of a better term). This protects the fog layer and keeps it moving in a straight line, like a curtain. This fogscreen can be raised up to about 10 feet and the fog will stay in a sheet all the way down to the ground, creating a screen that can be walked through. The fog source is ultrasonic foggers so, there is no duty cycle. I can run this thing all night. No duty cycle, no heat, and nothing but water vapor. The water tank where the foggers sit is auto-fill so, it will run all night when hooked to the tap without needing to be tended to.

Last video before I pack it up and get it ready for Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    The fog only comes from one row. The other tubes provide a laminar column of air. Think of it like a sandwich. The outer layers of air are moving in the same direction and speed as the inner (fog) layer. The air mass is also very uniform; coherent (for lack of a better term). This protects the fog layer and keeps it moving in a straight line, like a curtain. This fogscreen can be raised up to about 10 feet and the fog will stay in a sheet all the way down to the ground, creating a screen that can be walked through. The fog source is ultrasonic foggers so, there is no duty cycle. I can run this thing all night. No duty cycle, no heat, and nothing but water vapor. The water tank where the foggers sit is auto-fill so, it will run all night when hooked to the tap without needing to be tended to.
    That's awesome. Thanks for the explanation. Now I want one, too.

That's great. Idea....put the projector off to the side and use a mirror to hide it. The expanded image will be dimmer so the spot in the middle should be less visible

Awesome work Absolom, thanks for sharing.

It's really tempting to build one as well But that seems to be a time consuming work...

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    That's great. Idea....put the projector off to the side and use a mirror to hide it. The expanded image will be dimmer so the spot in the middle should be less visible
    This was just a quick setup. I actually have my projector mounted overhead. It pretty much stays hidden from view until you have already passed through the screen. The image terminates on a black background too. It works really well. Here's a video from a previous year's setup with my old screen so you can see how I have it arranged.

The projector is seen but is more noticeable by my phone's camera than in person

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Awesome work Absolom, thanks for sharing.

It's really tempting to build one as well But that seems to be a time consuming work...
    Thank you! This thing was no picnic, let me tell you! This was a lot less tedious than laying down 9000 drinking straws but it was way more fabrication and metalwork than I like. I don't particularly enjoy working with metal. A machinist, I am NOT! My hat is off to those machinist on this forum, you know who you are! I know very little about aerodynamics but if you do decide to build one, I can offer what little knowledge I have!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That's awesome. Thanks for the explanation. Now I want one, too.
    Me too! + 15 characters
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Me too! + 15 characters
    If I could find a way to construct these in a less "homemade" fashion, turn a profit, and not gouge... I would think about building and selling. The thought has crossed my mind!

You could sell plans. Make a free website with some videos and sell plans for $25 or so. You'd sell some, maybe enough to recover your costs to build the one you made. All you'd have to do is take time to make some drawings and instructions.