Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy folks...

Default Crazy folks...

I just saw this on the Sunday AM news - looks like some Evel Knievel with a jet pack is going to attempt to cross a 1500-foot long, 1000-foot deep gorge on just 30-seconds of fuel:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...s=den&psp=news

Now, I'm all for flying adventures , but at least I know that if the engine goes unexpectedly quiet, I get at least one shot at survival performing an autorotation !

Be sure to tune in Monday, boys & girls - it should be entertaining!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

Hmmm... The gorge is 1500 ft across. The jet pack flies at 70+MPH, but it has to start from zero and slow back to zero before landing. And it's only got 33 seconds of fuel.

70 MPH = 103 feet per second. So at *top* speed it will take him 15 seconds, or nearly half his fuel, just to make it across the gorge. That leaves him 7 seconds to take off and accelerate to max speed, plus another 11 seconds to slow down and land. Not much margin for error.

Also, I didn't see any talk of a parachute...

I smell a Darwin award in the making!

Adam

i smell....

SPLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Yep -

And with the networks covering it (I first heard about it on NBC News), there should be PLENTY of video footage - no matter how it turns out!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Last edited by LesioQ; 11-27-2008 at 07:10.

Yep - dude's definitely got some big brass ones!!!
    RR

Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Yep - dude's definitely got some big brass ones!!!
    His unit catalysis decomposes HTP into steam and oxygen, it doesn't burn anything. So the truck they have to haul around to make the high test peroxide, aka 31% or greater compared to the .3% you get at the drugstore, is about the same as a few tons of fertilizer based explosive if something goes wrong. So pray for his audience that they built it well.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    His unit catalysis decomposes HTP into steam and oxygen, it doesn't burn anything. So the truck they have to haul around to make the high test peroxide, aka 31% or greater compared to the .3% you get at the drugstore, is about the same as a few tons of fertilizer based explosive if something goes wrong. So pray for his audience that they built it well.

Steve
    Yeah, those rocket belts use 90%+ H2O2. You definitely don't want to get that stuff on your skin. It'll oxidize you to the bone.

According to the article he used it at a football game already. Of all the places one could be hovering around with a highly explosive device on their back!

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    According to the article he used it at a football game already. Of all the places one could be hovering around with a highly explosive device on their back!

-Jonathan
    Well, it's not really explosive... Just highly corrosive. H2O2 is just an oxidizer. Now, if you mix H2O2 with the right fuel and proper catalyst to chain the molecules, you'll then have an explosive.