Thread: QM32 error!

Default QM32 error!

Last week I had a disaster
    Basically my Thinkpad and Selectadock went flying of a table with the QM32 in the back of it.
    It has damaged the ISA slot on the docking station and maybe damaged the QM32. There are stress marks on the edge of the edge connector so possibly cracked the inner layer of the board.
    Anyhow to the problem.
    I can't use the Thinkpad anymore so I decided to try the board in a couple of old P3 systems that have a ISA slot.
    It wont work , I get a "LD DLL Communications Window" error message box up with "Window Background erased" and it then locks up.
    Is it a memory conflict or something or the QM32 thats damaged?

BTW there is no onboard sound card and no other cards installed.

Jim

Hi Jimbo,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the board may be damaged. This is a generic error message that indicates some kind of hardware malfunction.

Unfortunately, we no longer support the QM32 boards. We no longer even have components to repair them.

One thing you can check is the row of 8 standup resistors at the top of the board nearest the Pangolin logo. You want to make sure that the impact did not short those resistors.
    Ex-Keeper of the QM2000 boards.

Lightbulb

It is amazing how many disasters involve gravity... You have my condolences Jim.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Hi Hayden,
    The resistors were touching but aren't now.
    I've metered what I can and everything seems OK.
    Can you tell me if the multi layers on the board are just front, gnd, +5v and back (ie only 2 inner layers for power)?

Jim

You are correct sir.

If those resistors were touching, the board would definitely not work. I suggest putting heat shrink on every other one.

Also go ahead and clean the gold fingers on the ISA.

Then give it a shot!

Still no joy

Jim

Have you had a good look over all solder joints with a strong magnification lens? It's possible a solder joint or two have cracked when it hit the deck...

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Have you had a good look over all solder joints with a strong magnification lens? It's possible a solder joint or two have cracked when it hit the deck...
    The above is also a very good idea.

One last thing you can do is to re-seat all of the chips in sockets. Pull them out and just re-seat them back into the sockets. BUT, you want to do them one at a time ;-) ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    The above is also a very good idea.

One last thing you can do is to re-seat all of the chips in sockets. Pull them out and just re-seat them back into the sockets. BUT, you want to do them one at a time ;-) ask me how I know
    I'll take your word on it.
    I think I'll solder all the through plated holes just in case it's one of those too.

Jim