Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slightly disappointed in Laserwave

Default Slightly disappointed in Laserwave

While I love the brightness and color of my 350mW 640nm LW... I started to notice double lines in my images. I popped open the cover to reset the alignment. Unfortunately, LW saw fit to only have an X-axis adjust, not Y-axis . As the beam was off on the Y-axis, I was not able to adjust it and I didn't want to start messing around with the diode mounts. Did some quick and dirty fixing with an MM-1 until I get my tiny XY mount from Andrew (drlava) so the cover will fit back on. I know the new Kvant 637's just came out... how are the internal adjustments on those?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual_red.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	25053
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Lightbulb

As far as I know there should be no internal adjustments needed so no way to make adjustments. I have heard of other members having similar issues with their non-DIY multi-diode setups. I recently got a 350mW 640 just like yours but it has a nice beam that looks great; I must've got lucky with this one. (thanks again Ubersapian)

I would watch your carefully if youa re going to leave the lid off. It should be TEC cooled and condensation will form on the internals. This happened to a 150mW Laserwave 640 I had. It died for some reason and I suspect it may have been from me taking the lid off to get it to fit in a tight space.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 05-17-2011 at 19:10.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

It had a great beam to begin with. It looked awesome. It shifted slightly over time, I guess. I have not run it hardly at all with the cover off and I don't intend to unitl I get the cover back on. I will also dry out a silica gel pack and secure it in there when I put the cover back on after repairs are made to dry out the ambient to prevent condensation. Thanks for the info!

The split red beam happened to me and a bunch of other member. I bought mine from Marc and he was kind enough to fix it for me.

Mike

I am just going to install the mini XY, that way if either diode drifts, or what have you, I will be able to adjust in in a few mins. Norty has me awfully jealous with that Kvant 637!

could you please share a few pics and info when you receive this mini xy mount?

thanks!
    "its called character briggs..."

Sure thing!

15 chars

I had the same problem with my LW 640 but I sent it back to Rob and he sorted it for me.

As a result of the thread here, I think Bridge offered some sort of deal (iirc). I believe newer revisions of the head have fixed the problem or at least made it easier to deal with.

I guess the reason they don't have a nice adjustable mount inside is because the internals are not considered 'user' parts and they didn't design them with the intention of end users fiddling.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Shouldn't the Y axis adjustment be in the PBS cube (Foil shims or similar)?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Shouldn't the Y axis adjustment be in the PBS cube (Foil shims or similar)?
    Maybe, but I would rather turn a hex screw 1/8 turn to adjust than mess with shims. I dunno... xy adjustment seems to be a better long term solution.