Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Group laser project

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Lightbulb Group laser project

Ok the Pangolin/ILDA croud got together and did 2 shows as a group project,
    Cowwars (respectable) and that stupid (IMHO) caveman song. They set up a web site and divided graphics repsonibilities.

Now I realize that no two of us here has the same software, but 90% of us can probably load ilda frames. Christmas is coming up, and we're too late for halloween, so how about it folks, shall we do up some frames for a cool Xmas show or two? Keep in mind it takes me about 20-30 minutes programming for every 30 seconds for a one track commercial clipart graphics show on pangolin to program and you dont want to know how long for a 4 track award winning beam show, So spreading the work out across many laserists makes it easy.

plus you have something you can use and reuse in the end, with no major copyrights issues.

rulz, I. you donate it to the show, it must be your origional artwork

II. only contributers get access to the artwork until a year is up.

III. Its gotta be a track we can all get, not song 4 off the blue whales in tahiti move soundtrack french edition only sold in Bahahaha California under a full moon ( can you tell I own a pangolin, some of those tunes are nearly impossible to find)

IV Someone who everybody gets along with like Buffo, will be the arbiter of disputes and have gODLIKE (small g for respect to the big guy upstairs)
    powers to settle things.

V, We will do a timeline/artistic outline for the song choosen

VI there are NO other rules.

I will explane the basics of low end rotoscoping techniques in another later post, you do not need to know how to draw, but you do need to learn some points of better digitizing technique and a few simple rules ie no frame over 750 points, keeping numbers of points in sucessive frames nearly constant,adding corner points, avoiding big jumps, and there are some tricks for making frames look better, like right before and after a color transistion, you hand edit the colors of a few points to add sparkle and a smooth transition, like say your jumping from red to bright blue in a image, you'd do this red red deep crimson orange pink violet light blue blue. basically with a VCR with good pause and A cheap usb frame grabber (or even a older webcame with a ntsc/pal input) you can making some rocking artwork. VST is not needed, you can almost do it as fast by hand with practice. I went to rotoscoping school tought by the Famed LMR, I know how to do this and its easier then one might think. I cant draw above a 4th grade level,and I once did a 30 frame animation of a helicopter with spinning rotors off the heli companies outline drawing on a 8 bit machine using photocopied transparent overhead sheets taped to a amiga monitor running 8 bit software that had pros at a late 90's laser conference asking " how the heck did he do that animation on that crummy system"

Any takers for say jingle bells or white christmas? Better song suggestions appreciated. Persons who sugegst "Feliz Navidad" will be shot, however. We will try to do things so they look just as well on a green only system or a 12K or30K system, BUT some form of blanking will be required. Rotoscoping for no blanking can be done, and in fact makes things look a bit better, but your asking for a lot of extra trouble if you do.

Think of it this way, a typical song is cut for a airtime of say 3 minutes 30 seconds to 4 minutes 20 seconds
    If 15 of us participate each of us is only responsible for 15-20 seconds of a one track show, you'll actually be so bored you'll start doing background frames and some serious effects just because you can. That makes it easy, compared to slogging through one song by yourself. And those of us with tracking/timeling/timecode systems will in a spirit of brotherly/systerly love, keep those of you who have only one track and hotkeys or dmx in mind as we do this.

Steve Roberts
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-12-2007 at 09:50.

I'll try, I have LA Studio and TraceIt. It'll be a good learning experience!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Sounds like an an awesome idea, Steve! I know Carey tried something like this a while back, but it sort of died off before it really got going. But yeah, I'm up for the challenge. I'd like to learn more about creating my own frames (especially using rotoscoping!), so count me in!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Sounds like an an awesome idea, Steve! I know Carey tried something like this a while back, but it sort of died off before it really got going. But yeah, I'm up for the challenge. I'd like to learn more about creating my own frames (especially using rotoscoping!), so count me in!

Adam
    How about MannHeim Steamroller's first christmas album, I'm thinking of the synthesizer version of "Deck the Halls"

Seriously, we need a good tune to do this to! for some strange reason I've also always wanted to do Cheesburger in Paradise, or the Village People's In the Navy, but you guys get the idea. carey is a skilled show producer, he'll know what we need to do. I once sat in the room while he did a Rush tune on a huge abstracts console, and he knows the concepts involved. BTW, nobody said this had to be all graphics, abstract images can be very cool and eat up timeline like there is no tomarrow, which is a good thing . A beam show is probably a bad idea as a group project.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-12-2007 at 10:10.

how about that xmas metal song tso does
    i cant think of the name of the track but ill look around for it
    http://www.trans-siberian.com/index-main.php
    and on anther note laser would go very well with this artist as they usa a lot of lasers in the live show (done by laser design production )http://www.laserdesignproductions.com/photo-tso.html

I'll try, I have LA Studio and TraceIt. It'll be a good learning experience!
    CLICKY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    how about that xmas metal song tso does
    i cant think of the name of the track but ill look around for it
    http://www.trans-siberian.com/index-main.php
    and on anther note laser would go very well with this artist as they usa a lot of lasers in the live show (done by laser design production )http://www.laserdesignproductions.com/photo-tso.html
    You mean TSo's God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen?

Steve

I *think* Laser Ben has LA Studio and TraceIt

Oh whoops! Didn't mean to post that twice! Sorry!
    CLICKY!!!

Cool

Either Manheim Steamroller or Trans-Siberian Orchestra would be great. I like them both!

Adam