Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SELL] ArtLaser 500mw RGB Laser

Cool

More often than you might imagine...

That's the dark secret of the laser industry. There aren't a lot of enforcement people, so it's fairly easy to fly under the radar. Unfortunately, the guys that do this are the reason it's so damn hard for the rest of the legit businesses out there. (If they're willing to take a short cut on the paperwork, they're willing to take other, more serious shortcuts. That leads to accidents, lousy shows, technical problems, etc, which reflects baddly on the industry as a whole.)

I've been to a club where they had static beams firing directly into the crowd from a mobolaser beam table. Now, granted, most people will probably blink before they get hurt, even when we're talking about a couple hundred mw of power. But nonetheless, that sort of thing is clearly against the rules, not to mention reckless as hell. I saw one of the lighting guys in the john later that night and asked him if he had an IR filter on his green DPSS laser. He just looked at me and blinked, then shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I haven't been back to that club since...

The down side is that in the unlikely event that you do get caught, you aren't dealing with the town police or the local sherriff. We're talking the United States Food and Drug Administration baby... And when provoked, the government takes strides in 7 league boots...

Personally, I'm going to get a variance. Even though I might not actually ever do a commerical show, I might do some more demos at schools and stuff. I figure a variance will help in two ways - 1) I get credibility as a safety-conscious laserist, and 2) it deflects potential liability because I'm already approved to FEDERAL standards.

BTW, for the record you can apply for a projector variance and a traveling show variance all at the same time. The last guy I talked to said it took about 4 months for his paperwork to get processed. (He got both variances.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Personally, I'm going to get a variance. Even though I might not actually ever do a commerical show, I might do some more demos at schools and stuff. I figure a variance will help in two ways - 1) I get credibility as a safety-conscious laserist, and 2) it deflects potential liability because I'm already approved to FEDERAL standards.

BTW, for the record you can apply for a projector variance and a traveling show variance all at the same time. The last guy I talked to said it took about 4 months for his paperwork to get processed. (He got both variances.)

Adam
    Adam you have the same mindset as I when it comes to getting a variance. Also I think it's another milestone in building a projector, whether or not I decide to use it publicly, I will still be able to say it is at least legal to do so. I am constantly designing and improving my interlock system. It will be a rackmount interlock system. Once I start building it I will have to share some pictures will everyone.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I am constantly designing and improving my interlock system. It will be a rackmount interlock system. Once I start building it I will have to share some pictures will everyone.
    How about sharing a basic schematic as well. I'm sure some of our newer members would appreciate that.

I've been giving a lot of thought to my interlock circuit... I'm probably going to have a second keyswitch tied to my "all scram" switch. So if you hit the panic button and kill everything, you can't just re-set the switch and have the lasers come back on. You need to insert a key and reset the interlock latch first. Something along those lines. I'm still laying out features.

I've also been thinking about what other conditions should trip the interlock... (beyond the obvious conditions of loss of ILDA cable, case intrusion switch, etc...) Loss of scanner power is one; blown fuse on a scanner amp is another. Not sure yet how detailed I'm going to get with it though. (This is why CDRH variances is one of the topics on the agenda for FLEM 1.5!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    How about sharing a basic schematic as well. I'm sure some of our newer members would appreciate that.

I've been giving a lot of thought to my interlock circuit... I'm probably going to have a second keyswitch tied to my "all scram" switch. So if you hit the panic button and kill everything, you can't just re-set the switch and have the lasers come back on. You need to insert a key and reset the interlock latch first. Something along those lines. I'm still laying out features.

I've also been thinking about what other conditions should trip the interlock... (beyond the obvious conditions of loss of ILDA cable, case intrusion switch, etc...) Loss of scanner power is one; blown fuse on a scanner amp is another. Not sure yet how detailed I'm going to get with it though. (This is why CDRH variances is one of the topics on the agenda for FLEM 1.5!)

Adam
    A basic schematic really isn't possible, lol, I am trying my best to make it fairly simple, however, I tend to overdo things... but I will work on it. I am not sure how you would include scanning amp fuses... I am not that electrically inclined.

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I am not sure how you would include scanning amp fuses... I am not that electrically inclined.
    My original plan was to put a 10 meg ohm resistor in parallel with the fuse and connect the hot side of that resistor to the gate of a mosfet. When the fuse blows the voltage across the resistor will rise to whatever the input voltage to the amp is (currently +24 volts) which will switch it on. Only problem is that I'd have to have another relay (or other switching element) in the circuit as well to break the interlock loop when this turns on.

Now I'm thinking that I can insert the mosfet directly into the loop and bias it such that it's conducting normally with no voltage supplied to the gate from the resistor across the fuse, and when the fuse blows the positive voltage will switch the gate off. (Would need to use a P-channel mosfet though.)

Still tinkering...

Adam

Just a thought, as I have started to think of safety issues for my lasers.

Would it be a good idea to have an indicator panel, of say labeled LED's that will instantly show "what" has caused the system to trip out.
    If you are mid show or public event panic can set in while 1000 people in the audience really stare at you and I mean, "really stare at you" ... It would be good to know immediately what it was that has caused the failure..the cable pulled out, the fuse, the power supply, etc, etc, just in case it can be a quick fix.

The alternative is to always know where the exit door is that you can get out quick...

Ray