Thread: Triangle Lights 532nm DPSS (TTL to Analog)

Default Triangle Lights 532nm DPSS (TTL to Analog)

I got my trilights 532nm DPSS Module +TTL Power about a month ago for my RGB laser projector build for ~$130.00 shipped (Link: http://stores.ebay.com/triAngle-lights). After reading that the analog version was not really analog, I just decided to go with the TTL module.

I started reading about the people talking about modifying the laser to use a Flexmod to drive the IR pump diode to make it analog (Link: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...nm-200mw-Ebay/), so I decided to attempt it this weekend and here is what I got.

Insides:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01926.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	23742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01927.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	23747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01928.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	23749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01929.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	23757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01930.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	23741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01931.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	23750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01933.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	23758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01934.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	23755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01935.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	23744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01936.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	23743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01937.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	23759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01940.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	23745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01942.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	23754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01944.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	23746

Total of 6 wires that lead from the power unit to the dpss module:
    Baby Blue - Don't know
    Yellow - Don't know
    Brown - Positive peltier module cooling module (only about 70% sure about this)
    Yellow/Green - Negative peltier module cooling module (only about 70% sure about this)
    Red - Positive IR pump diode
    Black - Negative IR pump diode

The Baby Blue, Yellow, Red, and Black wires all seem to go through the heatsink and into the black cylinder. The Brown and Yellow/Green wires connect to wires that go into the peltier module.

Two potentiometers:
    Top: Controls the IR pump diode current
    Bottom (marked TEC Mode): Controls the peltier module current

DPSS Fan:
    Model - XJ1253010M (DC12V, 0.08A)
    Positive end connects to red wire and negative end connects to the brown wire from the power unit (thought that was very odd).

Flexmod test:

Name:	DSC01947.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	23748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01950.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	23756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01951.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	23751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01952.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	23752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01953.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	23740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01954.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	23753

Results:
    When you disconnect the red wire from the power supply unit it no longer turns on, thus causing the fans and peltier module not to be on. To overcome this a created a load resistance with 8 x 1.2ohm 1/2W resistors from the where the red wire use to be to where the black wire use to be on the power unit.

I then connected the Flexmod to the red and black wire on the DPSS module and used it to drive the IR pump diode. I could only get the power to max out at 290mW (without IR filter), anything higher caused the laser power output to start dropping so the TEC seems a bit unstable when using the Flexmod (Note: Fluke 117 multimeter is measuring the current of what I think is the peltier module cooling module because I was watching how it changed when running). Without the Flexmod, I could get it up to about 320mW (without IR filter) before the laser power output would start dropping. The fan on the back of the DPSS unit does not turn on when using the Flexmod, which also might be causing it to be unstable. It does seems to be analog now, but I have yet to test it completely until my projector is done.

Questions:
    1. Can I run the DPSS module without the 12V fan on or is this going to cause problems? Any ideas on how to get it running?

2. How come there are 6 wires into the DPSS module? I know two are for the diode, two for the peltier module. Are the other two a temperature sensor or something?

3. Any ideas on getting the TEC stable?

4. What do you think is the max current I can put into this IR pump diode? (Stock was 676mA)
    Last edited by djpsych; 02-20-2011 at 17:15.

I have the same laser, and have already made it analog.

Stock LD current was 950mA in mine.

Red = +4.5V (LDA and Fan+ connected here)
    Black = LDC
    Brown is GND (connected to Fan- and TEC+)

Yellow/Green is negative control for the TEC (haven't measured the voltage - guess its around -5V)

The last two wires is for a NTC.

The original driver is low-side. A flexmod is high side, and therefore not suitable.

It can be used, but you will have to rewire everything in the head.

I used a diy die4drive to convert it - only 1 wire to cut - simple as that.

I can post some pictures tomorrow if you are interested.

/Thomas

[EDIT]
    Mine is built into the original driver, eliminating the need for load resistors to get it to power on

Thanks for the information! Yes, I would be interested in pictures.

Are these acronyms correct?
    LDA = Laser Diode Anode (+)
    LDC = Laser Diode Cathode (-)
    NTC = Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistor
    Last edited by djpsych; 02-20-2011 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by djpsych View Post

Questions:
    1. Can I run the DPSS module without the 12V fan on or is this going to cause problems? Any ideas on how to get it running?

2. How come there are 6 wires into the DPSS module? I know two are for the diode, two for the peltier module. Are the other two a temperature sensor or something?

3. Any ideas on getting the TEC stable?

4. What do you think is the max current I can put into this IR pump diode? (Stock was 676mA)
    1. You MUST keep the fan in place, even if it does mean using a separate PSU to power this fan. It's responsible for dissipating the heat drawn from the diode and into the heatsink by the TEC, and if it is used like such for a prolonged period, you risk severe instability, as well as permanent TEC, pump diode and crystal damage.

2. There is some sort of feedback within the head, I'm not sure what, though. I'm leaning on it being temperature feedback, that'd explain the (relative) stability these units exhibit.

3. You will need a dedicated TEC driver, along with some form of feedback. Inside the laser head, the fan and TEC are both modulated alongside the laser, this helps to compensate for any sudden pump diode heat output changes as a result of modulation, and it's just another thing done to keep the temperature stable (which is extremely important).

4. It's a 1W pump diode, 800-900mA should be no problem.

Thanks for the information! Yes, I would be interested in pictures.
    I didn't get time to rip it apart to take pictures today - will try tomorrow.
    Are these acronyms correct?
    LDA = Laser Diode Anode (+)
    LDC = Laser Diode Cathode (-)
    NTC = Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistor
    That is correct

I am 99.9% certain I did it like this:
    (It was a month ago so I'm a little uncertain on the GND - but the black modulation wire is GND, and it should be connected to the brown wire on the board, thus making it GND too)

I connected the power pins on the die4drive to +4.5v (red) and GND (brown) from the original driver.
    I then cut the black wire (LDC) and connected it to the LDC pad on the die4drive.
    I moved the fan in the driver to the outside of the case to make place for the new driver.

This is all I did - and got a analog laser in return

I have no way to test stability as I do not have a power meter.

/Thomas

Any pictures yet?

Any pictures yet?
    Sorry - I forgot about this

I have added a DB9 connector to make it easier to handle.

Here you go:

Name:	2011-03-16 01.01.35.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	24091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-03-16 01.01.17.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	24092

The head is untouched - all wires except the black one is untouched.

Red goes to the driver's supply pin, Brown is GND, and the black wire from the head is connected to the new driver.

/Thomas

Well, as I am in need of 532 for my main projector and on a budget (out of work) I dug out my surplus Trilights "150mW" TTL module last night and got it running again (failed bridge rectifier on the mains side). These TTL psu/ld/tec drivers are cheap rubbish so its destined for the scrap heap again, I fixed it to see the 532 running to determine if I could use it. Measured 245mW stable, although thats without IR filtering and the IR filters I have are too small to mount in the huge head aperture.

In my kit of parts I have a CNI module (gutted 473nm module off eBay) that has an IR filter fitted and a hand full of Flexmod P3s plus Daves new driver so my plan is to strip the Trilights module and transplant into the CNI housing, giving me the required beam height and better heatsinking. The question is, do I fit a P3 or Daves driver and implement my own TEC driver; or do I simply use my available CNI PSU-OEM LD/TEC driver?

The advantage of using the CNI driver is that its already mounted and wired in my proj, although it takes up valuable space that could be freed up to allow more fan cooling effieciency of the base plate. Going with drivers mounted in the head results in all laser adjustments accessible from the optic side of the projector, I am already using P3s for 638 & 445, in fact my corrected 445 is also in an identical CNI head off ebay.

Which way do you think I should go?

Edit: Its interesting to note the posts above state the 200mW modules are set for 950mA LD current, my 150mW produces peak power at just 570mA, in fact this is the lowest I can dial the current to. It will be interesting to see if power goes up with less drive current once I switch to an analog driver.... I wonder if the 150 and 200mW modules are fitted with the same C-mount IR LD....

I also note my 150mW PSU has only 1 LD current regulator transistor fitted, while the 200mW photos above have the second transistor fitted (absent in my 150 PSU which is why I wonder if they a lesser IR LD).
    Last edited by dnar; 10-22-2013 at 21:25.
    This space for rent.