Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Legal Audience Scanning Effect

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default US Legal Audience Scanning Effect

One of the least talked about but amazing things to come out of the recent FLEM was a demonstration of a feature built into Pangolin's BEYOND called Emulaser. It's be talked about before but, after reviewing the video tonight which I will endeavour to post here tomorrow, I think any thread started by a US newbie asking about audience scanning, should be directed to check this out. The recommendation to them should be... before buying a laser, buy a good high contrast LCD projector. Especially for DJ's and nightclubs.

We set up an Epson projector with a laser on top of it with the intention of having the powerful laser beams above the horizon and the video projector below and study it for a bit. All I can say is, wow. I'd be willing to bet to a room full of untrained eyes, all of them would think they were watching a regular laser beam show. No special CDRH variance, no jellybeaning, mode hopping, or any of the inherent problems with lasers. Eye safe. Color saturation was a little bit evident but certainly not objectionable. Nearly as bright as the 2.5 watt RGB on top of it. Seriously. As flecom said, we've spent all this time trying to get lasers to look like video and now we've got video projection that looks like a laser.

I'm already investigating where I can rent a couple for testing. I'd like to see it in a larger venue than the boathouse to get a real sense of how viable it is but, initially, this looks like an absolute no-brainer. Amazing how much like real lasers the Emulaser looks and, cheaper than buying most decent lasers! And CERTAINLY cheaper and easier than the real thing. As I said, I hope to get the video up tomorrow. If we had JUST shot video of only the video projector... and said, "Here, this is from FLEM", you would all be commenting on how good the lasers looked!

And for show programming... also a no brainer. Why put hours on your precious lasers when you can do it with a video projector?
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 03-03-2014 at 18:51.

Yes! I've thought about this too and glad to see Brad actually doing it. I'll be following this with great interest and can't wait to see video. Go Brad!

I doubt an LCD projector will provide enough contrast, what you want is DLP. Looking forward to seeing the video!

The simplicity is genius Brad. It will work for everybody. Wow, you guys really hit it out of the park with that idea. A+ all the way brother.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    I doubt an LCD projector will provide enough contrast, what you want is DLP. Looking forward to seeing the video!
    When I typed the original post, I used the term DLP. After posting it, I went to look at the specs on the projector we used again and realized it said LCD so, I quick came back to edit this so I didn't look stoopid. Now even I'm confused. But you are correct in that it does need to be high contrast. You want black to be very black.

Bill Benner shared a rather amusing story of how he stunbled across this particular projector. Before I butcher any of the details in re-telling it, I want to check to see if I have that story on video as well. Suffice to say, (and I say this affectionatly)... only a geek! LOL

Which Epson projector was being used Brad? Or at least details of output lumens please?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    It was a 3-LCD projector, and it looked really good. I agree that DLP should be better in theory, but Bill said that of the ones he tested, this one looked the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Wow, you guys really hit it out of the park with that idea.
    In fairness, this isn't Brad's idea. The idea came from Bill at Pangolin, and he liked it so much that he modified the Beyond software to allow the use of a video projector as an output zone (as if it were a laser projector connected to a controller).

Bill actually demonstrated this at SELEM last year, but he didn't have a really good projector so the effect was rather unimpressive. This time around though it was *very* impressive! Aaron set up the LCD projector and had it running at FLEM.

I have some video taken later in the evening with a 2 watt RGB proejctor up top and the LCD projector below it, and the beams look very convincing. I'll try to get it uploaded soon.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Which Epson projector was being used Brad? Or at least details of output lumens please?
    I don't have details of the projector model, but I know it was rated for 2500 lumens.

Adam

Damn -
    Just when I had convinced myself I didn't "need" any more laser show-related equipment ...

Sounds awesome -
    Looking forward to the video!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE0P8gIfv4M

Ok, here is the video. It was still processing when I added the link so, if it doesn't work yet, give it a couple minutes.

The projector was an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5020UBe Tri-LCD. Generally around $2300-$2500 but Bill's was $1900 off eBay. There are some other models with similar specs closer to $1500 that may be worth investigating.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use a projector that incorporates lazzzzer diodes? :-P