Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phenix Technology is trying to tell me DTs are not as good as PT.

Default Phenix Technology is trying to tell me DTs are not as good as PT.

Any truth to this?

I've been trying to get them to chop the price a bit, but failed. Anyway, I mentioned DT 40s, and she said she has had customers compare quality, and that DTs are not what they used to be.

Many of our customers had told me their products not as good as before. We have customers who test PT-A40 with DT-40, which think PT-A40 is much better in linearity.
    So is this just the typical Asian sales pitch?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Ask Adam Buffo, he seems to theink they're better too.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I haven't done a legitimate real world test to compare the two but, I've been very pleased with the PT scanners and they have a decent reputation. I have 8 sets working in projectors at the moment and later today or tomorrow at the lastest I'll have a projector with their new wide angle scanner which I think is to compete with the DT40wides.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I haven't done a legitimate real world test to compare the two but, I've been very pleased with the PT scanners and they have a decent reputation.
    I'm up to four installed sets at the moment and I'm of the same frame of mind as Brad. Even IF the PT's were slightly worse performers than the DTs, the PT-40s are half the price of DT-40 pros.

Perhaps we can arrange a side by side comparison at SELEM? I will have a small single mode projector with the factory tuned PT-40s available that we can use.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

LOL, I bet DT will say PT isnt as good either. Bias much?

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Any truth to this?

I've been trying to get them to chop the price a bit, but failed. Anyway, I mentioned DT 40s, and she said she has had customers compare quality, and that DTs are not what they used to be.

So is this just the typical Asian sales pitch?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I'm up to four installed sets at the moment and I'm of the same frame of mind as Brad. Even IF the PT's were slightly worse performers than the DTs, the PT-40s are half the price of DT-40 pros.

Perhaps we can arrange a side by side comparison at SELEM? I will have a small single mode projector with the factory tuned PT-40s available that we can use.

-David
    I have DT-40 pros in my projector from smogthemog and I hope to bring it so, yes, we should be able to do a side by with a Pluto.

So lets pretend the PT are only slightly worse. Would that mean that most people concider to sacrifice the better performance and go the cheapest route? So if the scannermax506 are better in quallity then a PT or DT but double the price of the PT then that would mean most people in the lowest end of the market will choose the cheapest one even though they should choose the scannermax since they last allot longer. So the first choice would be scannermax 506, second PT because of price/performance and third the dt,s that where they used to be on spot nr 1 but are going to be taken over by scannermax 506. So in a few years the whole chinese box market will have scannermax and a quickshow package just as we predicted

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

For people who are interest there is also the PT-A40. Its a wideangle scanner and it seem the chinese answer to Scannermax. Not sure what the performance is of them but it looks from appearance reasonable quallity. But then again so does OPT

http://www.eightonlight.cn/products/...ents/Scanners/

http://www.phenixtechnology.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PT-A40.JPG  

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    So lets pretend the PT are only slightly worse. Would that mean that most people concider to sacrifice the better performance and go the cheapest route? So if the scannermax506 are better in quallity then a PT or DT but double the price of the PT then that would mean most people in the lowest end of the market will choose the cheapest one even though they should choose the scannermax since they last allot longer. So the first choice would be scannermax 506, second PT because of price/performance and third the dt,s that where they used to be on spot nr 1 but are going to be taken over by scannermax 506. So in a few years the whole chinese box market will have scannermax and a quickshow package just as we predicted
    I fully expect the 506's to be significantly better than DT's or PT's and there is an area where I am willing to spend the difference even if double the price of the PT's. It's not a fair apples to apples comparison though as you are talking about a totally different design. The DT's and PT's are much more similar to each other, than the 506's are to either one.

Smile

As Brad said, the DT-40 and PT-40 scan sets are *very* close in performance. No where near enough of a performance difference to justify the price difference.

The 506 scanners from Pangolin are nothing short of amazing. I've seen them in action at the last Florida meet, and they are a quantum leap ahead of anything that DT or PT has. Also, the price of the 506 units is close to the DT-40's. So yeah, if you were deciding between the DT-40's and the 506's, it's a no brainer. 506 wins hands down.

But in my experience (4 sets of PT's, 3 sets of DT's), the PT's actually perform better than the DT's when scanning normal shows. True, on the ILDA test pattern the DT's have a slight edge (about 2 degrees) over the PT's. But when scanning regular images, I have found that the DT's start to exhibit artifacts way sooner than the PT's do. What I mean is that I can scan most shows quite a bit wider with the PT scanners than the DT's. Not sure why this is, and it's certainly counter-intuitive, but this has been my experience.

At SELEM I'll have 4 projectors with PT's and 3 projectors with DT's, so we can do a "scanner shoot-out" if we want.

But for now, I think for $250 for a complete set, the PT-40 scanners offer the best bang for the buck.

Adam