Thread: Basic help needed with Pango FB3 and DMX

Default Basic help needed with Pango FB3 and DMX

I have uploaded a show I designed in Showrider to my FB3 using Livequick. I set it to play when the FB3 is powered and it does, so I know the file is there.

When I connect a dmx cable, playback stops, so I assume the FB3 'sees' the dmx controller. My success ends there...how do I trigger the FB3 to play the show I uploaded...

I tried setting channel one to basic range then using channel 3 to tell it to play cue one using value 33... no dice... what am I missing?
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

The flashback board has a yellow LED that lights when it recives DMX.
    If you've got switch '0' on to enables DMX reception, and switch '1' on , which set the starting channel to 1. If you set the value of channel 1 to 60 (basic mode), leave channel 2 at 0 ( page 1), and set channel 3 to 33 ( play cue 1) it should start playing cue 1.
    Try uploading your show to cue 2 , but without setting the autoplay checkbox, in case this somehow excludes it from being a dmxable cue.
    If it still doesn't work, try swapping the DMX+ and DMX- input wires, ( pins 2 & 3 on a 5pin XLR ). I think that the DMX led might light up even if this is the wrong way around when running off some controllers.
    B.

Well, I have a yellow LED when the dmx connector is plugged in, goes away when I unplug it.

I uploaded the show to cue 2, no autoplay... still no luck... I am stumped at this point. I must be doing something wrong in Livequick... but the show plays just fine in autoplay mode when the projector is turned on...

Quote Originally Posted by fuzcub View Post
    The flashback board has a yellow LED that lights when it recives DMX.
    If you've got switch '0' on to enables DMX reception, and switch '1' on , which set the starting channel to 1. If you set the value of channel 1 to 60 (basic mode), leave channel 2 at 0 ( page 1), and set channel 3 to 33 ( play cue 1) it should start playing cue 1.
    Try uploading your show to cue 2 , but without setting the autoplay checkbox, in case this somehow excludes it from being a dmxable cue.
    If it still doesn't work, try swapping the DMX+ and DMX- input wires, ( pins 2 & 3 on a 5pin XLR ). I think that the DMX led might light up even if this is the wrong way around when running off some controllers.
    B.
    www.FearFair.com

Ok. I am totally stumped now. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with my show, so I downloaded a couple of FB3 shows from the ftp site (fb3 beam show.lpc and fb3 beam show1.lpg) and uploaded those using Livequick... they play fine from Livequick, but can't seem to make them play from dmx..

I am about out of things to troubleshoot.

FB3 works fine using USB, livequick, showrider, etc. all fine.

I plugged the dmx controller and same cable into another fixture to make sure not a problem... worked properly. FB3 gets yellow LED when I plug the dmx cable in and stops autoplay. I have tried swapping pins 2 and 3 as well. no change

The show(s) I am trying to use play fine if uploaded and flagged to play automatically on the FB3...

I have tried to play the show using both basic and extended ranges via dmx.. no change..

I am using a Chauvet DMX70 dmx controller...

Does anyone have any other ideas for me? I am truly stumped...
    www.FearFair.com

Try using a slightly higher value on channel 1, say 50. If you adjust chnnel 3 through its whole range do you get anything? You may need to upload a different workspace to fill in all the cues.

Is you DMX data correct? pin 1 gnd, pin 2 - (cold), pin 3 + (hot)? (you may need to swap pins 2 and 3 as the FB3 is labeled oppersitely. Is the daughterboard sitting correctly?

Make sure DIP switch 0 is on to enable DMX and then put switch 1 on (for DMX receive address1

I'll keep thinkig of some more things to check, at work at the mo.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers
    Rich

You might also find some answers to your problem on this thread:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ad.php?p=65574

It's is a possibility that one or more of your DMX channels is inadvertently set such that the laser output is disabled. Also, make sure the FB3 is NOT connected to the computer's USB port when using DMX, since the USB connection overrides the DMX connection.

When all else fails, post your question on the Pangolin web site's "Contact" link. They are VERY good about answering individual questions. Be as descriptive as possible when you post on their site (what is loaded in memory, settings of the individual DMX channels you're using, etc.) and you'll probably get a pretty quick solution to you problem.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Good points Stuka, I forgot to mention about the USB overriding the DMX input.

Cheers
    Rich

I have checked and triple checked every possible issue to no avail... I cannot make this unit respond via dmx... So, I am just putting the show on the card, setting it to autoplay and turning power on to the unit. Since the Lightorama software I use for the Christmas lights display handles playing the music, I will just turn the power on to the laser then start the music when the show starts...

I really don't get it, tried another dmx controller to the same result, yellow led and stops autoplay when connected... no response to commands... dip switches are right, show is uploaded and plays from a number of different cues on power up and when usb is connected, usb not connected when trying dmx... weird stuff.
    www.FearFair.com

One more thing to try:
    The tiny switchs are very delicate - perhaps one of them is stuck in the open or closed position - meaning that the FB3 is not actually 'looking' at the correct start chanel .
    Using a multimeter set to read continuity , test each switch to make sure that 'on' is closed, and 'off' is open. Fine tipped probes and a steady hand help.....
    B.

Have you tried contacting Pangolin yet?
    Their one-on-one support is generally top notch!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....