Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DAC and software

Default Looking for a DAC and software

I just bought a set of 30k scanners and I was wondering what I would need in regards to scanners. I know I need a DAC but what software. Do any of you have a cheap DAC you would sell.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

The LaFreak package would be your best bet, I think.

Where? And how much?
    CLICKY!!!

$500 from Pangolin. There has been a lot of discussion about it on here lately. I would have probably bought it if I didn't go with another option.

Also, I noticed in another thread you said you want something cheap. But if you go cheap I can almost guarentee you that you will end up dissappointed and wish you spent a little more money. If you are really in a bind I recommend going dirt cheap with a Popelscan DAC until you can save money for a real solution.

Exclamation

I have seen a lot of the stuff out there now. Returning back from SELEM......my LDS crashed and I had to reload it there. Anyhow I left with one of those coveted white boxes.....yup. The big P. I am a happy camper to say the least after having the scanners tuned properly and seeing the results of it. Bottom line......get the best you can get....or you will be discontent shortly thereafter.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    my LDS crashed and I had to reload it there. Anyhow I left with one of those coveted white boxes.....yup. The big P. I am a happy camper to say the least
    Heh! I remember when your LDS crashed. What did it take? An hour to re-load everything? That sucked...

I guarentee you won't have that problem with your QM-2000 dude. The computer can crash and the show will continue to play! I wanna see pictures of your new setup in action though... (By the way, that was some damn fine work on your projector housing! You're good. I'm envious!)

LaserBen: The LA FREAK package is the best value on the planet right now. Use the search function here on PhotonLexicon and do a search for posts containing "FB3" and "Pangolin". Folow some of the links you find in the post that the search returns. You'll see what we're talking about.

Adam

Oh I almost forgot about Norm's laser show software and DAC. The DAC is only $23 on ebay in kit form. And there is free software to go with it. I think that the DAC only does one color and the software is very very basic. I only recommend getting it if you absolutely can't afford anything else, though. It at least lets you play with your scanners until you can afford something else.

I sent an email to Pangolin here in the forums. I hope he gets back to me soon.
    CLICKY!!!

Cool

Did you send an e-mail, or did you send a PM?

Bill loves to support the hobbyist community, but he's a *very* busy guy. Sometimes he doesn't have time to check in here all that often, so he might not be able to respond to a PM for quite a while.

On the other hand, he's usually pretty quick to answer his e-mail. But by far the best way to get in touch with him is to pick up the phone and call Pangolin. Even if it's past normal business hours, if Bill is in the office he answers the phone. (He's cool like that.) Plus, Bill is *frequently* in the office until very late at night... So you've got a really good chance of catching him in the office if you call in the late afternoon or later. (Bill himself has posted here that the two best ways to reach him are e-mail and telephone.)

I do remember Bill (or was it Hayden?) saying that the demand for FB3 cards was heating up fast, and that was causing a supply crunch. But I think they are expecting a shipment in this week.?. Eh - give them a call, they'll sort it out for you.

Adam