Thread: O-Like 405 Module

Default O-Like 405 Module

I finally got around to assembling something...
    The holder is an O-Like 405nm module like they sell on ebay for $12.99.
    I was forced to keep this tiny, as I plan on shoehorning it into one of my RGY grocery store scanners (approx 9x12x5). I am going to have to slide the green over, but I think I can pull it off without a total redesign.

The bracket was a portion of a small aluminum miter box for cutting balsa wood. I lost the saw that came with it years ago, so a trip to the chop saw yielded an awesome bracket It comes complete with a cheesy, make due, washer height adjustment system. I sold my mill when I moved, so I just used a file to flatten the top of the module to help keep it flat and straight with the bracket. I was all over the place- I had not even unpacked my soldering iron, nippers, etc... It took almost 30 minutes just to find my multimeter- I kissed it when I finally found it! probably shouldn't have shared that..

Man, this color is nothing short of gorgeous! Anyway, the clarity of the spot this module/lens provides is very satisfactory. I did finally see the "stripe" everyone is talking about, but in a small peripheral beam box, no problem! The spot on the wall pic taken with the flash is from approximately 20 feet away- sorry I didn't think to use a ruler for reference.
    I am running this one way under power compared to what I am sure it is capable of (for now anyway), I am just happy with a nice visible beam and reasonable spot. After running it for about 25-30 minutes CW with 3vdc modulation, the holder/bracket was literally cool to the touch. I used the fluke for initial settings, but then I just eyeballed the adjustments to get it visibly in the ballpark with my Red Lava 640 & 532. The pic of the two scanners side-by-side is before the addition of the red. I am moving the greens towards the center by about 1.5 inches. Hopefully I will have some better progress pics soon.

All for now- need some sleep!
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_BLUE 003.jpg  

tn_BLUE 008.jpg  

tn_BLUE 001.jpg  

tn_BLUE 006.jpg  

tn_BLUE 005.jpg  

tn_BLUE 004.jpg  

tn_mini 012..jpg  

tn_mini 001..jpg  

Last edited by mikkojay; 07-01-2010 at 23:04.

That beam looks huge. Will it even fit on normal scan mirrors? I have a few of these modules coming to test out, but that diameter may be a problem.

I have seen this in other pics too- in "real life" its not really too bad. If I lose a small percentage off the edges of the scan mirrors, I don't think it will really matter too much in my application. We'll see. I have a nice tight 473 in my graphics projector, so I have that covered for now.
    -Mike

Pretty good value those O-Like housings for the 445's .... I've also got a few of these on the way to hold the O-Likes in place ...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Linear-Shaft-...item439c80e887

Quote Originally Posted by Ubersapian View Post
    Pretty good value those O-Like housings for the 445's .... I've also got a few of these on the way to hold the O-Likes in place ...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Linear-Shaft-...item439c80e887
    Those look great- do you have a plan to shim the 2mm diameter difference?
    Another thought, if you have access to a lathe, would be to get 16mm mounts, then shave down the diameter of the o-like housing to create a perfect fit.
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1845-1.jpg  

1845-2.jpg  

Last edited by mikkojay; 07-02-2010 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Those look great- do you have a plan to shim the 2mm diameter difference?
    Another thought, if you have access to a lathe, would be to get 16mm mounts, then shave down the diameter of the o-like housing to create a perfect fit.
    -Mike
    Mike,
    I can't get over your grocery store scanners.... That's just soooo COOL!

You MUST bring those to MIDLEM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Mike,
    I can't get over your grocery store scanners.... That's just soooo COOL!

You MUST bring those to MIDLEM.
    Hey thanks Adam-
    I think I've got an arrangement that will work finally. I have to move the HEPA filter now, but who cares- I have a white beam shooting out of this little midget freak scanner!! Its sister scanner is in the queue. I totally want to bring them to MIDLEM, along with some homegrown software to make 'em dance! I'll post more as this evolves- I am just in that autopilot mode where I let the scanner build itself, and I am just there to feed it little parts and pieces
    The green is a little dominant in these pics because it is at full CW while red and blue are only being modulated at 3v. It took me half an hour to find my little 2 AA battery holder- my basement is in shambles.

edit- one last little tidbit- the pass blue, reflect green dichro I used was a fairly cheapie $22.50 from ebay. It works well- I'm quite happy with it. The waste beams were pretty negligible. I'd buy another one- in fact, I did!
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_BLUE 010.jpg  

tn_BLUE 009.jpg  

Last edited by mikkojay; 07-02-2010 at 23:24. Reason: pics are nice

Thumbs up

Very NICE!!! Does look a bit cozy in there.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I tested the 405nm module just for fun with a red open can diode an the result amazed me. A very thight beam even after 10 meters. I dont know about the losses but man just try it for once