Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No See Um Netting

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Default No See Um Netting

Inspired by the talk of NoSeeUm netting I contacted David at Skeeta and arranged to purchase a 3 metre square piece.
    This arrived today so I set about trying it out.
    First things first, I think I went a bit overboard on the size.

Although it's a big piece, the weight (according to the shipping document) was just 9.6 grams. No idea what that is in proper money but it's pretty lightweight stuff.
    As it was so big I had to test it outside so I planned to suspend it between two lighting stands.
    That's when I discovered that it's pretty good at catching the wind.
    Even though there was hardly any breeze, the thing was all over the place and the lighting stands had no chance of holding it steady.
    I had to run some Garden Twine (cus that's strong enough) between two handy trees to hold it in place. Even then, the breeze still took it so I had to weigh the bottom down and eventually run twine through the bottom fold over to keep it relatively stable.

Here's a pic of the netting with the (redundant) lighting stands either side.

As Darkness fell I fired up the smoke machine and clicked away.

There are more pics in my gallery.

My impression is that using a scrim definitely adds to a laser show.
    No longer do you have to peer at a back wall to see graphics so it adds an extra dimension to shows with folks able to appreciate the beams coming at 'em (above head height of course) as well as appreciating the graphics or just the pretty patterns.

The service from David at Skeeta was excellent.
    I rang him with my requirements and asked for an extra flap to be added to the bottom (to weigh it down) after I had received my original quote and David agreed to add the extra fold over for the original price.
    The order was shipped on Monday and arrived four days later so no worries about the mailing service either.

Just make sure you think about the size of scrim you need !!

Looks ideal...

Do you mind me asking How much did it cost? And do you know if it is certified fireproof..

If you have a QM2000, watch Gradient Moby through the scrim... Amazing!!!!!

Cheers
    Mark

amazing! i need to buy me some
    -Josh

Thumbs up

Thanks, I have book marked the site. Unfortunatly they are located in Florida. I will have to pay sales tax...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

How much did it cost?

that stretched over a loop of PVC would work great

Thumbs up

It is great stuff!!

Buffo had his set up for SELEM, and it worked perfect for our venue!
    I've since added a couple of pieces to my inventory, as well!

RGBLaserFan -

The folks at Skeeta (www.skeeta.com) will be glad to quote you a price (shipping, custom size, the works) for whatever size you need! You 'll want to order your piece with a rod pocket along the top length for hanging it from a support rod, and possibly another pocket along the bottom for weights (or you can do like I did and just use spring clamps).

The gray "NoSeeUm" seems to be about the best for laser show scrim use.

Good stuff!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Looks really good..

Just sent off for pricing... ouch shipping to NZ !!!

Ray

Thumbs up

Hey Soforene! -

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Inspired by the talk of NoSeeUm netting I contacted David at Skeeta ...

My impression is that using a scrim definitely adds to a laser show.
    ...it adds an extra dimension to shows with folks able to appreciate the beams coming at 'em (above head height of course) as well as appreciating the graphics or just the pretty patterns.

...The service from David at Skeeta was excellent.
    Glad to hear of your good experience with David / Skeeta - isn't he just a great chap? Super nice, and real 'old-world' values (ie: who just does changes but only charges you for the original price, ya know??

As to the scrim, yeah, you'll wanna find a good way to lash-it - what we do (and I know this is a REALLY big example..) is zip-tie a vinyl-clad steel-cable thru the top-pocket, and send a piece of PVC thru the bottom-pocket, then cinch-up the top, and let the bottom just hang (indoors) - PVC is cheap, lightweight (but plenty-heavy enough to weight this featherlight stuff, especially indoors) and won't snag or tear the material, like iron pipe would...

But for outdoors, the secret to a nice, wind-strong scrim with this stuff - (even for obnoxiously-big ones like the 20' x 30', there..) is to pass a rope that is ~10' longer than your pipe (20' if you wanna have the scrim-base 10' off-the ground) THRU the entire length of the PVC in the base, then tie-down the longer 'tails' at like, a 45˚ down to the ground / stakes / sandbags, etc. - This way, the tension is distributed thru the entire length of the scrim, (and the top is already-so, cause the cable up-top takes all the tension) and there is never any really potentially scrim-tearing 'stress-points' as-if you tried to zip-tie / grommet just the corners... dig?

And once you project color thru it, you'll really appreciate how razor-crisp your graphics look, yet, like you said, you get that 'extra dimension' for your audience... Tip: put your fogger / fan in front of your scrim, to maximize those 'pass-thru' atmospheric fx... (see below...

RE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    And do you know if it is certified fireproof..
    Well, not sure we can say if it is 'certified' or not - worth a call to Skeeta - but I can testify, we've had fire marshals on gigs insist on doing an actual 'flame-test' (fortunately, we had a small scrap to test with...) and it did not stay lit - it just shrank-back and smoked a bit - that is what they look for, if it will STAY lit, or just go-out by itself. So, it passed. But, 'certified '- ???? ..ask David, I guess...

Anyhoo, njoy, and keep the pix comin - look great!

peace
    j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BSA_Piqua_2.jpg  

BSA_Piqua_6.jpg  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Cheers for the fogger tip dsli_Jon.

The postage to the UK was $25 with the material itself costing $35.
    This included the custom sewing to add pockets top and bottom (essential really) and linking 2 pieces together to provide the width.
    The join was evident in daylight but during use was not noticeable and did not detract from the display.
    The quality of the workmanship was first class too.

David at Skeeta mentioned that they could supply any size up to 30 metres !!

As is becoming apparent with other peoples input, you really do need to secure any scrim to present a flat surface to project your lasers onto (or maybe it's because I went for the "obnoxious size" ).

I was under the mistaken impression that I could just "hang it" and it would remain static.
    Evn indoors I'd guess that the slightest air current would move the scrim (unless properly tethered) thereby sending your display all skew-whiff.