Thread: New to lasers but need a laser tube?

Default New to lasers but need a laser tube?

Hi all, I am completely new to lasers so im not too sure what i am looking for yet,

Basically i do lighting at a nightclub, and they used to have a working laser, since i have been doing the lighting there the laser has been broken, and it is a real shame as it is am amazing peice of kit.

I have been told that the thing needs a new tube, and i wouldnt know the first place to get one, I have also been told that is is a very expencive peice that needs replacing.

If you could help me find a place where i can get the correct part for cheaper than i have been told, that would be fantastic, if not then it may be best to get a new laser.

There is a post on another forum about the laser here - http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/la...ord-33549.html

So its a 5 Watt water cooled gas laser that needs a tube, where could i get a spare tube for averagely cheap?

Thanks in advance

Andy

What make/model is the laser? If you could give us pictures we would be able to tell from that if you are unable to figure it out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    What make/model is the laser? If you could give us pictures we would be able to tell from that if you are unable to figure it out yourself.
    Its a Spectra Physics 5 watt laser, thats unfortunately all i know :-S

Quote Originally Posted by mxr156 View Post

Can tell more with pictures ... might be a 164/5/8 ( more likely to be 8 if it's show use? ), but if you get us pictures we will know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    Can tell more with pictures ... might be a 164/5/8 ( more likely to be 8 if it's show use? ), but if you get us pictures we will know for sure.
    I will see if i can get some, just so i know what sort of price range would you think it would cost to replace?

I will see if i can get some, just so i know what sort of price range would you think it would cost to replace?

Not even sure what tube it is, but it just depends. If you want a new tube you're looking at several grand, but you might be able to get an older used one for less. Not the easiest things to find though Might be better selling it and getting a solid state system which will use *much* less power and produce far less heat.

Yes, I have had this suggested by a few people now, so I'm seriously considering getting my own and trailing it at the club, could you suggest any good makes that would be ILDA compatible, and have the full RGB colour range?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I can probably replace the whole laser cheaper then you can get a SP tube from any other vendor. Your photonbucket account is private, so I have to guess if you have a 164/168 or a Chroma series. Lets try again shall we? Hopefully with out a LPF link. Attachments of BMP/JPEG etc. are allowed here. Also whom told you the tube is dead, and how are they sure? Where is the laser at?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...