Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK ShowLEM - J40 M1. West Yorkshire...

Default UK ShowLEM - J40 M1. 2nd + 3rd July 2011

Hi all

Well, after a superb recent Surfleet LEM (thanks Jim) a few folks got to talking (as you do ). Anyway, to cut a long story short, it was proposed that a LEM be held that was dedicated to showing synchronised shows, both beams and graphics. It was also suggested that this LEM could be held further north and on the main motorway corridor.

Most felt that to enforce this on an existing LEM would be unfair as the current Surfleet LEM works beautifully as it is. So, with the above in mind I have found a venue that appears to be suitable for the purpose. It is based just off J40 of the M1 motorway at the edge of a small town called Horbury. There is ample accomodation close by for anyone who prefers a nice bed to sleep in. However, it is also permissable to sleep in the hall if required.

We can have the hall from 2:00pm on the Saturday (due to a regular booking by a dance class) until approximately 6:00pm on the Sunday. There is a small kitchen in the hall, but there are no cooking facilities. there is a small conference room upstairs that could be used for sleeping purposes if required.

The hall is fitted with blackout blinds throughout, so obtaining darkness shouldn't be a problem. You'll also see there are some nice Yamaha speakers mounted on the wall, so we'll only need an amplifier and leads.

As you can see the hall is in beautiful condition and the trustees would like to keep it that way. So, there are a few rules they would impose on us relating to the hire of the hall...

1. Absolutely no smoking anywhere in the hall.
    2. We leave the hall as we find it (spotless).
    3. We do not damage the floor in any way.
    4. We don't use 'too' much electric (may be a surcharge for excessive use - Sorry, no three phase stuff ))

In addition, there's another suggestion I would like to make in relation to equipment. If it's o.k. with everyone I suggest that we just have one hazer present. I'm happy to take mine along (Look Solutions Unique 2) and will accept responsibility should there be any extra cleaning work required as a result of residue. The other reason would be that I can work with the person responsible for the fire alarms to ensure we don't encounter any problems during the meet.

Other than the above, we can work out any other problems at a later date. Suggested cost would be £25 for the two days. Maybe £10 for Saturday and £15 for Sunday if you're just coming for one of the days. Any surplus from this meet would be pooled into the 'Surfleet' pot with a view to building up sufficient funds to pre-pay for the Surfleet hall for future meets.

Just to re-confirm... This LEM isn't meant to conflict in any way , shape or form with the main LEM's in Surfleet. I love the Surfleet meets and how they work. The main purpose of this LEM would purely be centered around synchronised shows (perhaps running around 9 RGB projectors of similar power). We could perhaps allocate time for a synchronised LivePRO demonstration as well. It may also be nice to consider a training workshop on how to put a show together etc.

It would be nice to decide prior to the meet what equipment we actually need. this would avoid folks carting loads of gear that won't be needed. For instance, we only need one hazer (already covered ), we really only need one computer system. We'll need some projectors (of course ), some trussing and some cables etc.

This LEM wouldn't be a grab a table and set up your gear LEM. I think the intention is that all the gear would be set up in a specific place where the shows could be played to best effect. I apologise if it sounds like a regimented affair, that is not the intention. However, we do want to maintain the overall concept of what this LEM is being organised for, that is to set up a whole load of projectors in an organised fashion.

So, I throw this open to everyone. Who's interested in attending? Possible dates? I suggest either June or July 2011, we could possibly do something earlier but maybe weather would then be a problem for those travelling a long way.

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in getting this off the ground.

Jem

Possible Attendees:

Jem (Jem )
    Richard (Soferene)
    Andy (Andy_Con)
    Rob (Stanwax)
    Kev (Kevski)
    Paul (Lasermad)
    Dan (Danielbriggs)
    Dimitri (Hobbybob)
    Nigel (Gashead)
    Ritchie (Starlogic)
    Mark (Markmtts) & Andy

Adrian (Dilbert)... Saturday

Carl (Carl B)... Sunday Only
    Tony (TonyAztec)... Possibly Sunday Only
    Al (White Light)... Possibly Sunday only

Rupert Morse (Rupertmorse) - Still trying to get hold of Rupert for confirmation.

Jim (Smogthemog)... Sadly can't make it
    Andy Thompson - Sadly, unable to attend.
    P1t8ull - Sadly, unable to attend.
    Insanity(?)

Location of Hall:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...9&ie=UTF8&z=15

Directions:
    Leave M1 at J40 and head towards Wakefield, once off roundabout keep in right hand lane. At the second set of traffic lights turn right onto Queens Drive. Continue on Queens Drive (go straight through traffic lights after approx ½ mile) for ~1 mile until you reach a 'T' junction, turn left. Continue down this road for~¾ mile (be careful, There's a bad bend), After bad bend you'll pass Halfway house pub on right. Continue until see Victoria pub on right (only ~¼ mile further). Primrose hall is on your left opposite Victoria pub. Free parking is available outside venue. It's much easier to find than it sounds!

One other thing. The location widget on Google maps shows up on Barker Road. That is the back of the hall. You need the turning just before. I tried to put the location widget on the actual hall, but for some reason it doesn't want to be moved . Any questions please PM me.

Accomodation:

The Quarry Inn B & B - ~½ mile to venue - Room and breakfast ~£32
    http://www.thequarryinn.co.uk/

Days Hotel Wakefield (J40 - M1) - ~2 miles to venue - Rooms from around £42
    http://www.dayshotel-wakefield.com/

Holiday Inn (J40 - M1) - ~2 miles to venue - Rooms from £
    http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...wy/hoteldetail
    This hotel is showing it's fully booked at the moment, but it my be worth checking.

Premier Inn (J39 - M1) - ~6 miles to venue - Rooms from £19
    http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/W...outh-m1,-jct39

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 07-02-2011 at 03:44. Reason: Names added to attendees list
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

Looks nice and tidy Jem but possibly a little small (it may just be the pics).
    Are there comfy chairs available?
    Wouldn't 9 RGB's be a little OTT (again, the hall may be bigger than appears in the pics).

I can bring along my scrims to add to the experience (plus a 25 Metre "ILDA" cable if needs be but I think that would be covered).

What's the parking situation like?

Looks like something I'd like to attend.

After all the rumblings about lack of any dedicated time devoted to shows it's nice to at least attempt to put something like this together.
    But would we have enough shows to fill 2 days?

And I'll have to remember to take off my heels if I'm tempted to dance on that shiny floor .........

Sounds a great idea Jem, I am all for it. Any laser get together with all the great people that make these all come together, is worth the go ahead.
    Price seems fair, venue looks great for the purpose plus it's clean and tidy too.

I completely agree about the hazer business too - Surfleet suffers from 'too much haze/fog' regularly and I have thought myself about only having one permittable hazer/smoke machine running so as to keep down the residue it suffers from at the end of these LEM's. It took me and Dawn several hours of spraying and cleaning everything over to try and rid the place of it all.

One computer sound a little boring though

All in all a good find and well worth the doing IMHO.

Thanks
    Jim

EDIT - Size looks fine to me!

9-10-20-50 projectors, the more the merrier.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Talking

You Crazy Ass Mofo Jim.
    There'd be a backup computer for sure !!

Imagine the one and only PC going down and us all sitting in darkness .............

I could bring my Blue Spyder just in case so that I can keep the crowds entertained with some Erotic Sumo Laser Dancing.

I recall the shenannigans at the last Leciester meet trying to cable up the 20 projectors to run the synchronised shows.
    With that in mind it would be good to know that folks could expect to see some stunnning shows and not an hour or two of "Builders Bums" accompanied by "Hang on then, if we run this cable to that projector and then connect that box to this one ..."

In fact, I'm getting a mental image of a lady coming up and down the aisles of padded seats dispensing Lyons Maid ice creams from her tray.
    Last edited by soforene; 10-11-2010 at 04:01.

one computer! really?

do we have to decide which controller we want to use before the event

different computers and different controllers = different shows.

providing im free ill come along, good work jem
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    You Crazy Ass Mofo Jim.
    There'd be a backup computer for sure !!

Imagine the one and only PC going down and us all sitting in darkness .............

I could bring my Blue Spyder just in case so that I can keep the crowds entertained with some Erotic Sumo Laser Dancing.

ill bring my mill along so if the computer breaks ill mill a new one so we dont have to sit in darkness.

Last edited by andy_con; 10-11-2010 at 04:13.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Oh dear.
    I can imagine Jem spitting his coffee all over the keyboard at the mere thought of all those shavings ........

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    .......different computers and different controllers = different shows.
    A very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Looks nice and tidy Jem but possibly a little small (it may just be the pics).
    Must be the pictures, i'd say it was approximately the same size as Surfleet. Maybe a tad narrower, but certainly as long.

Are there comfy chairs available?
    Hehe... I'm sure we can find some nice comfy chairs. Do you want the 'high seat' type that are easy to get out of too?

Wouldn't 9 RGB's be a little OTT (again, the hall may be bigger than appears in the pics).
    Maybe... What do you think? Five perhaps?

I can bring along my scrims to add to the experience (plus a 25 Metre "ILDA" cable if needs be but I think that would be covered).
    Scrim would be good, not sure how we'd hang it though. I don't think the trustees would be too keen on a couple of 'six inchers' holding it up

What's the parking situation like?
    Ample free parking outside the hall.

Looks like something I'd like to attend.
    I'm hoping most of the other 'regulars' will think so too.

After all the rumblings about lack of any dedicated time devoted to shows it's nice to at least attempt to put something like this together.
    But would we have enough shows to fill 2 days?
    Maybe, maybe not. But I guess any spare time will be taken up chatting, playing with software, etc. etc... I'm happy to go with any suggestions as to what else we could do... dancing girls anyone

And I'll have to remember to take off my heels if I'm tempted to dance on that shiny floor .........
    The hall's been open for about 18 months. It was originally built many years ago for the benefit of the people of the town and was originally run by the local 'town' council. However, in latter years the main Wakefield District Council took it over when many of the urban district councils were taken over by the bigger councils (some would say 'stole' it from the people of the Town). Due to lack of investment it was allowed it to fall in to disrepair until it eventually closed. After a long fight, during which time it was left to rot, it's been claimed back by the people of the Town and re-furbished with the help of lottery funding. It's now run as a Charity, by a board of trustees and they take good care of it. In the first year there were well over 18,000 people through it's doors. So, I wouldn't worry about your shoes, as long as we respect the place we'll be absolutely fine

I'll need to get a date booked as soon as possible due to the fact it gets very well booked.

Jem

P.S. Yep, I agree, a few different computers with a variation in software would be good

I don't think we'd have the same problems wiring the projectors now that the 'proper' interface boards are here. That's what they were designed for - easily linking up many projectors ... Who could bring some of those ???

Also, i'll update the first post with possible attendees as people show an interest.
    Last edited by Jem; 10-11-2010 at 05:58.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem

All looks fantastic , put me down as a definate ! as soon as you hav the dates laid down i will do my best to make sure nothing gets in way .... looks like 4 hours drive roughly ... yeah ...might actually feel like a human on arrival this time.

KIT - im bringing nowt , nothing zilch , just wanna bathe in the LIGHT

If theres not enough shows , we just watch them all over again

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

i hate to be a bit ghay but very long way from me so you can probably count me out, sorry
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat