Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy to all!

Default Howdy to all!

Howdy to all here at Photonlexicon!

My name is Carl, I have an account on LPF under the same name and decided that I should broaden my connections through here.

PL has been much of my research along with LPF and Sam's FAQ, all these have been great learning resources for my long time love of lasers.

I am very much into gas laser and have been reading quite a bit on the subject. Soon I will have a 2214-40ML from Dave(I think you all know him)and will try to post pics on both forums.

I'll leave it there for now,

Carl

Hi Carl,

Welcome at PL, hope you feel at home here soon.
    Looking forward in seeing your pictures of the machine you've bought from Dave.

Kind regards,
    Dimitri
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Thank you, i'm sure i'll get the hang of it soon.

The laser I am getting from Dave(as soon as I pay for it) is a:
    2214-40ML JDSU Argon Ion multi-line cylinder tube.
    Throw in some diffraction grating and i'll have some nice pics!

Welcome to the Forum...
    Is that Dave from over there of from over here...???

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Howdy there Jerry, It's Dave from over there at LFP that i'm getting the Argon tube from.

Quote Originally Posted by 532withEnvy View Post
    Howdy there Jerry, It's Dave from over there at LFP that i'm getting the Argon tube from.
    You can't go wrong buying from Dave (daguin)...
    He's a member here as well...

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 02-07-2011 at 04:07. Reason: Spelling errors
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 532withEnvy View Post
    Throw in some diffraction grating and i'll have some nice pics!
    Hi Carl;

Welcome to PhotonLexicon! I'd like to suggest another effect you can create with that new Argon of yours... Lumia! Pick up some cheap shower glass and put it in front of the beam. (Be wary of stray reflections, of course.) You'll see some incredible patterns on the wall.

If you really like the effect, you might want to mount the glass on a slowly-turning wheel to create a changing effect. Contact Greg Southerland (Displaser here on PL) if you need a source for the 1/2 RPM motors. (He also has some great lumia glass for sale, cheap!)

Adam

Thank you, that is a good idea. i'll give it a try, always loved that effect anyways, and with a ML it should be great.

I see your ILDA, I hope to be getting into laser projections and shows soon enough as well. I work in the "Business" and it really could only help to know much more and perhaps get a certification(if available).

Anyways, thanks again!

Smile

Hi Carl;

Well, I'm an ILDA member, yes, but I absolutely do not speak for the organization as a whole. Many members here on PhotonLexicon are also ILDA members, and some of them have been involved with ILDA for a lot longer than I have. In fact, the current executive director of ILDA, Patrick Murphy, is also a member here on PL. (He goes by the username "ildadirect".)

Note that you don't have to be in the business of doing laser shows in order to join ILDA. It's just a good organization that looks out for our interests as laser enthusiasts. And though I still like to consider myself to be more of a hobbyist than anything else, I have performed as a guest laserist at a number of commercial shows, so in at least a small way I suppose I really am "in the business"... (How'd that happen? )

If you are interested in performing laser shows commercially, there is a lot of information here on PL that can help you get started. As you mentioned, the certification process (that is, obtaining your variance, both for the equipment and for the show) is a big deal. The CDRH is at times difficult to deal with, but fortunately there are many experienced operators here who can assist you.

Another thing I'd like to suggest is that you seriously consider attending a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting in the near future. I see you are in New York, which means that most of the LEM's are going to be a good distance away from your home, but even so, the experience of a LEM is well worth the drive.

At a minimum, I urge you to mark out August 18th through the 21st on your calender right now. Those are the dates for the 2011 South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (SELEM). It's one of the largest events of this kind, and it will be an excellent learning opportunity for you. (It's also a hell of a lot of fun!)

Have a look in the Meet and Greet sub-forum for more information about LEM's in general, and SELEM in particular.

And if you're ever going to be in or near Charleston, SC, let me know in advance. I'd be happy to sit down over a beer or two and chat about lasers, projectors, or anything else.

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

too bad you couldn't make it to socalem. sugeek and i setup a giant wall 'o lumia for use as a background for the other projectors.

daguin is a top notch guy. you can't go wrong buying from him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	socalem-n-000177.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	23529

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hi Carl;

Welcome to PhotonLexicon! I'd like to suggest another effect you can create with that new Argon of yours... Lumia! Pick up some cheap shower glass and put it in front of the beam. (Be wary of stray reflections, of course.) You'll see some incredible patterns on the wall.

If you really like the effect, you might want to mount the glass on a slowly-turning wheel to create a changing effect. Contact Greg Southerland (Displaser here on PL) if you need a source for the 1/2 RPM motors. (He also has some great lumia glass for sale, cheap!)

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.