Thread: Audience scanning - safety

Default Audience scanning - safety

Hello everyone,

I'm a newby laserist who's currently building a small scanner. I plan on using it in a show in 6 weeks time.

I'm contemplating audience scanning, so I'm reading up on the safety side of things. It seems like there are varying theories, using many different formulas, on how to determine whether a laser show is safe for the audience or not.

Does anybody have, I dunno, an Excel spreadsheet, or some online resource (I'm looking for something tried and true) that will allow me to make sure that I'm keeping things safe?

Thanks a lot

The best way to keep it safe is to not do it!

It is never a good idea to potentially hit someone in the eye with a laser. If you like tunnel effects and such, there is a way to not have a problem. Make yourself a known shadow space with an appropriate mask. Put your head in that shadow space only!

James.

Hi,

Apart from the obvious common sense as posted above... like if you don't know then don't do it. That's my own philosophy on it.

On a more contsructive note have you done a search on this site as there has been a LOT of talk about this in recent months.
    If not do search on say Pangolin (Bill Benner) he has had some very wise observations on this subject and is one of the few that really does understand what's involved.
    Also go to the Pangolin (www.pangolin.com) website and look at the resource pages there are articles on this very subject.

It can also involve some special equipment as well as the math... perhaps a good lawyer is not a bad thing to have in the background either.

Good luck

Ray
    NZ

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I've now discovered the Pangolin forums which indeed have a wealth of information on the subject.

To sum up, though: I think I get it

I'll keep reading up on the subject, but I'll put the idea of audience scanning on the back burner for the near future.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog_99_00 View Post
    I'll keep reading up on the subject, but I'll put the idea of audience scanning on the back burner for the near future.
    That's a smart move. Audience scanning is complicated and risky. It can be done safely, but there are numerous hoops you need to jump through. Most of us have decided it's not worth the effort, but there are a few companies out there that perform legal audience scanning shows in the US.

Remember that it's not just the math, or the projector design, or even the show content that you need to be worried about. You also need the proper power measuring equipment. (And a standard Coherent LaserCheck wand is *not* going to fit the bill here.)

Adam

You also need to know that even with the best design and circumstances, things can go wrong. You don't want people in front of a laser projector gone wrong!

James.