Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, No laser output, FB3, Quickshow

Default Help, No laser output, FB3, Quickshow

Hello all, I managed to get all my components mounted and somewhat aligned. When I click on a cue in QuickShow I can hear the scanners (DT-30's) running but I have no laser output. I am using DZ's ILDA BreakOut Board. I checked for voltage at the + and - pins and it's showing zero volts. The lasers (LW640, LW658, and LW532) all work in CW mode. I have the slide switch's set at MOD and AS. I have played with the software quite a bit the last few month's and I'm thinking that since I have zero volts at the breakout board, maybe there is a setting in QuickShow that i have clicked on that has disabled the output to the lasers only. Should I uninstall and reinstall the pangolin software? I also tried it in LiveQuick with the same results. I'm also wondering about the "Loop" and "Loop Return" on the breakout board. Does it have to have a live circuit attached? Right now there are no connections at these terminals.
    Thanks in advance.
    Chuck

you do have "enable Laser Output" clicked in QS correct? I guarantee you this is just a silly overlook. We've all been there before...

also, what pin #'s are the loop and loop return? This isnt the interlock or shutter circuit is it? if so, then yes...they should be shorted (or better yet)- hooked to a shutter/interlock circuit
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Thanks Marc for responding.
    Yes the laser is enabled (top right Icon in QuickShow). The scanners activate and they respond by pitch to the different cues selected. The pins on the breakout board don't have a number designation assigned (printed) they just say Loop and Loop return. I put a jumper wire between the two but the results were the same. DZ had mentioned that a voltage could be applied to the loop and if all is good it would pass thru and back to loop return, the red LED would light. I don't have a 5volt source on my projector to use so I left it disconnected. I intend to add a complete interlock circuit at a later date but I need to make sure I have everything else working first.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CRFultz View Post
    Thanks Marc for responding.
    Yes the laser is enabled (top right Icon in QuickShow). The scanners activate and they respond by pitch to the different cues selected. The pins on the breakout board don't have a number designation assigned (printed) they just say Loop and Loop return. I put a jumper wire between the two but the results were the same. DZ had mentioned that a voltage could be applied to the loop and if all is good it would pass thru and back to loop return, the red LED would light. I don't have a 5volt source on my projector to use so I left it disconnected. I intend to add a complete interlock circuit at a later date but I need to make sure I have everything else working first.
    Chuck
    Hi Chuck, the "loop" and "loop return" have no effect on the color outputs of the breakout board. They are intended to pass the interlock loop thru to the controller and back to your projector. Not having it wired makes no difference. It's interesting that you have 0V between +color and -color lines. Setup the software to output a test pattern (ILDA, Lasermedia or whatever) and test voltage between +R or +G or +B to GND. I'm wondering if you're wiring to the -color line and there may be physically no connection to the -color lines on the controller. If you end up with voltage and don't want to have to rewire your connections from -color lines to GND, just turn on switch 3, 4 and 5 which will internally connect the -color lines to GND on the breakout board.
    Last edited by DZ; 06-17-2010 at 07:22.

That loop wont be what is causing your lasers to not turn on. Are you sure you have the correct modulation setting selected on your laser drivers? I had to play with mine a bit to get them to work.

EDIT: DZ's too fast :P
    -Brooks

I just checked it, between R+ and ground I read -2.374 volts and the green reads +.1280 vdc. This is with the dip switchs in the off position. With the switchs (3,4,5) in the on position I read 0 volts between R+ and gnd and +.1230 between +G and Gnd.

I will check the as/ mod switchs again on the driver PS

Should I disconnect the -R,-G terminals and leave the wires unhooked?

I powered down and toggled the CW/AS switch back and forth. same thing...they do work in cw mode...
    This isn't looking good

Set up a pattern to run through QS and click "enable laser output". Then try all combinations switches until the pattern is displayed. I can't remember exactly but it seemed like on of my switches was backwards. Or maybe I'm just lysdexic???

On my setup (only green at the moment), the +G and -G are hooked up to the ILDA board.

Also, just check to make sure you have the screw dust covers taken off the end of your lasers. (Yes, I've left mine on before and couldn't figure out why the hell it wasn't working.)

I took the white wires coming from the driver/ps and tied all three together and connected to "GND" on the breakout board. Now I have zero volts. This is with the switchs 3,4,5 in the off position.

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post
    Set up a pattern to run through QS and click "enable laser output". Then try all combinations switches until the pattern is displayed. I can't remember exactly but it seemed like on of my switches was backwards. Or maybe I'm just lysdexic???

On my setup (only green at the moment), the +G and -G are hooked up to the ILDA board.

Also, just check to make sure you have the screw dust covers taken off the end of your lasers. (Yes, I've left mine on before and couldn't figure out why the hell it wasn't working.)
    I'll give it a whirl...the LaserWave units do not come with dustcovers....the lasers work fine in CW mode.

Quote Originally Posted by CRFultz View Post
    I'll give it a whirl...the LaserWave units do not come with dustcovers....the lasers work fine in CW mode.
    Really? Mine came with a screw on cap over the aperature.