Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 77838485868788 LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Sure thing, Ryan! I'm really impressed with this set. As you said, they aren't Saturns in terms of performance, but they are an amazing set of scanners. I see several more sets of C-506s w/ MachDSPs being incorporated into my projectors going forward.

-David
    Can you let me know when trash day is at your house so I can take your "junk" galvos off your hand. LOL
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Can you let me know when trash day is at your house so I can take your "junk" galvos off your hand. LOL
    Ha! Funny enough, I sold most of my "junk galvos" to Neil (Icecruncher) at SELEM . . and then he won the C506's/MachDSP three days later!
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Ha! Funny enough, I sold most of my "junk galvos" to Neil (Icecruncher) at SELEM . . and then he won the C506's/MachDSP three days later!
    It was a good year for galvos

They also gave away a set of DT-40s as a door prize
    Don't know who won those.

Brad won those. (The DT-40 scanners that were donated by X-Laser.)

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes and, as much as I hate to do it, they are going to be going up for sale to help offset the cost of a set of 3mm 506's with red board amps and power supply from Sal for my single mode build project. I had a couple sets of the DT-40's both wide and pro sitting in boxes already. So while I appreciate winning them, the "sell some of your stuff" contingent may end up happy.
    PM Sent...

What size power supply is needed for the 506 and DSP amp?

Looking at the specs for the amp +/-24 at 10A peak per axis, so 240W for each rail, giving 480W total for just the scanners. This seems high to me so I wonder if I'm not thinking about this correctly. Should I be calculating with the 5A RMS value here instead?

As far as I know Pangolin recommend +/-24V at 3 amps per rail.

Quote Originally Posted by helium View Post
    As far as I know Pangolin recommend +/-24V at 3 amps per rail.
    The performance video I posted in post 855 used Pangolin’s 3.2A per rail PSU. It performs great and has a very small footprint.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Scanners don’t run constantly and the peak power is just an instant while the scanner is moved quickly. The average power is a lot less. I’d guess less than 50% during a hard show to under 10% when sitting idle. Even with an offset or parking the beam off screen it’s not the full power consumption. It’s the acceleration and deceleration at distant points that takes the most.

ever do an exercise called ball slams. You are holding a ball that you slam as hard as you can into the ground. Now imagine catching the ball just above the floor so it doesn’t hit. That would take tremendous force to move the ball and then move you to stop it. That is similar to the scanner moving between two distant points. Hey once you get to the ball now toss it as hard as you can up again and again catch it before it travels past the original point and keep repeating. Gives you an appreciation of a scanner.

ok have fun with the name of the exercise....

I committed to recording some video with the Compact 506 / Mach DSP combo and now that SELEM is overf their strengths.
    Thanks for the video shown in Post # 855 David! Although you made it a while ago, I hadn't seen it up until now. It looks good. People might have had greater context if you also showed the software that works along with them, which shows the status of everything in real time (voltages, temperatures, flags, etc).

Regarding the question posed about the power supply, yes, we've had custom power supplies made which are pretty small. I can't remember but I think the rating is 200 watts, but the C506/Mach DSP won't consume anywhere near that, and in fact the software tells you the power supply consumption (in both amps and watts) at all times.

Bill