Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2019 sign-up thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thanks Len. For those that may not know, I have an article about SELEM in the most recent copy of the ILDA publication, The Laserist. It can be found here: https://www.ilda.com/resources/Laser...t_12.27.18.pdf

(Photos courtesy of Chris Short.)
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    For those that may not know, I have an article about SELEM in the most recent copy of the ILDA publication, The Laserist. It can be found here: https://www.ilda.com/resources/Laser...t_12.27.18.pdf

(Photos courtesy of Chris Short.)
    That's great Brad! I had no idea you did this. Wonderful write up. I think it encompasses the true essence of SELEM.

Default Payment sent...

XL shirt. Should I bring my little friend?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	longhene-120.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	55577

Thumbs up

Brad, that was a *fantastic* write-up about SELEM! Thanks for doing that! With luck it will encourage more ILDA members to attend in the future.

Dan - holy crap that's a big HeNe! I'm assuming that's a Specta-Physics 125, right? Does it lase? If so I'm sure several people would love to see it in action. Also, I remember DZ trying to get green out of a large HeNe a few years ago (think it might have been an SP-127), so if the tube lengths are similar he might want to try those optics in your unit...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarlow View Post
    XL shirt. Should I bring my little friend?

Name:	longhene-120.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	55577

Please bring, please. I would love to see one that works.

Default bin your diodes

I decided I will bring an ocean optics spectrometer. If anyone wants to bin diodes here is your chance. Let me know. You need the driver and diodes. I just bring the spec. PM me if you want to do this. If I hear from no one I wont bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Dan - holy crap that's a big HeNe! I'm assuming that's a Specta-Physics 125, right?
    Yes! I got the head from a surplus place in Virginia. Unfortunately I they followed the standard practice of separating and losing the supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Does it lase? If so I'm sure several people would love to see it in action. Also, I remember DZ trying to get green out of a large HeNe a few years ago (think it might have been an SP-127), so if the tube lengths are similar he might want to try those optics in your unit...
    Adam
    It has been lit with an ad-hoc supply and the discharge color looks reasonable but it didn't lase. I will try to put together another less deadly supply so people can play.

I wonder if a 127 supply would run a 125.?. Tube length looks similar at least. And I'm pretty sure DZ still has a 127.

Looking back at the game video that Tim (scnlns) posted, I think it could be vastly improved by simply changing the player-controlled path segment so it has a small patch of white in the middle. That way you can tell which one you have control over.

And Marc, the spectrometer sounds cool! Good point about reminding people to bring drivers though. Kinda hard to test a bunch of diodes otherwise!

Adam

Cool SP-125

FAQ says it needs 6KV@ up to 35mA. It has dual anodes so it technically can run half tube discharge, but the starter will keep firing until both legs light unless you modify the head wiring. It's driven from a tap on both ballast resistors.
    I have a cap charging supply from Jon Singer that can be programmed in that range, so I will try to find that one.

Name:	charger-120.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	55582

Request made spec will be there. Wow what a great article. Nice to see the attention in the so called pro world. You know from what I’ve seen the line between pro and no pro is pretty skinny these days. In fact I’d bet with the right backing many of the so called amateurs could give the big boys a run. Look at how many awards are being given to non pros these days. In fact I’d bet more innovation in content and some hardware comes from this group than just about any other world wide. Other than pangolin I have not seen much meaningful new stuff in a long time. Maybe I’m just not looking. Bottom line you rock and thanks for shouting it to the world.

i think the next step is blending laser with other media such as video of course but also static display like interesting geometric with special laser highlights, adding some led glowing paints like the uv work, sculpture, kinematic, more use of holograms, 3d redux, beam brushing through exploration of the poor turn on and shut off ability of diodes( switchable cap?) lots of possibilities. Unfortunately I can dream way beyond my ability to engineer so surprise the world. Go forth and pro or non-pro create..... sorry could not resist.