Thread: Eye Safety

Default Eye Safety

Hi Guys

Just a quickie post on laser damage to eyes.

Having worked with class 4 lasers for several years now, I thought an eye test would be in order.

I paid for an extensive exam , including retinal photographs , and instructed the optometrist to look specifically for laser damage.

She was also experienced in looking for this kind of damage.

Nothing . A clean bill of health , which frankly surprised me

I was a bit reckless in my early days and thought I may have had a hit or two.

I think I've been a bit lucky , but in more recent times , a combination of being much more aware of the dangers and the use of well put together projectors , have resulted in me keeping my vision intact !!

Be safe.

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Pleased to hear that. I would recommend anyone in this game to get regular eye tests. It's probably worth seeking out an independant Optician rather than the big multiples as they usually have more time for the eye exam

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    It's probably worth seeking out an independant Optician rather than the big multiples as they usually have more time for the eye exam
    I've heard of a nice little independant in Barnsley

good news Mark

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Retinal photographs themselves are a bit controversial. As I understand it, there is speculation that the technique itself may be damaging to the retina...

And I am not surprised that you don't have any detectable problems. The MPE is based on certain assumptions -- one of them being that you have a fully dark-adapted pupil with 7mm diameter. I am not sure if I have ever seen a pupil with 7mm myself... Even in a relatively darkened environment (that still has enough light to see and work), the pupil diameter is closer to 5mm. This isn't just 5mm/7mm = 71% the size, but rather (due to constricting in two dimensions) actually limiting the light input to HALF what it would be at 7mm (assuming that the original beam is 7mm or larger, and having a top-hat profile). Incidentally, there's that word again -- assuming...

Best regards,

William Benner

Maybe there are certain 'products', that certain people at a party 'consume' that increase the pupils size and thus justifying the 7 mm choice?

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Maybe there are certain 'products', that certain people at a party 'consume' that increase the pupils size and thus justifying the 7 mm choice?
    This.

Especially Pink Floyd fans... nahwhaImean?

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    I've heard of a nice little independant in Barnsley

Oh damn, it's that 15 character limit again
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001