Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to photograph a show - stills

Default How to photograph a show - stills

Whats the best way to capture laser stills ie. shutter speeds, flash / no flash, etc.

I'm not a photographer, but I have pretty good luck with my compact digital by bracing it on a table, post or other stationary object in lieu of a proper tripod.

This method works well without a flash. The flash typically washes out the image and takes away from the lasers.

If you can, use a good digital SLR camera.

just play around with it. flash is usually a bad idea. sometime longer shutter speeds can get a very cool effect. also of possible use a tripod!
    -Josh

I had mixed results at a trance night recently. The flash photos showed no laser at all. The non flash showed laser beams but both the laser beams and the people were horribly blurred - obviously a slow shutter speed.

On the other hand, I see photos by others of lovely crisp beams in dark environments, hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    I had mixed results at a trance night recently. The flash photos showed no laser at all. The non flash showed laser beams but both the laser beams and the people were horribly blurred - obviously a slow shutter speed.

On the other hand, I see photos by others of lovely crisp beams in dark environments, hence the question.
    As said before, use a tripod, high ISO will help too

And turn off auto-focus

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go.

I've got an old Nikon CoolPix I used to shoot these:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...9&postcount=18

Not too bad for a 6-year-old pocket digital camera!
    (Although no where NEAR the quality you would get with some of the nice SLR cameras folks had at SELEM!!)

I used the Night-time "scene" mode setting, which disables flash and does some sort of exposure setting that I really know nothing about! I DID use a tripod, which definitely makes a lot of difference for the low-illumination shots!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Nice pics. I just bought a Casio Z80 compact which takes excellent stills and even more amazing video clips for a budget camera (£100). In fact the video rivals most dedicated video cameras that I've seen:

Watch this in high quality (link bottom right of video window) : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJ12lV84xI and bear in mind this is after Youtube flash conversion!!

Try this for night time: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ZKtp...eature=related.

That said you can expect gain noise in videos very low light environments.

However, I haven't yet mastered the art of laser photography.

I'll check those out when I get home this evening - my government-provided Internet connection doesn't like anything YouTube...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....