Thread: Making/Buying an ILDA cable

Default Making/Buying an ILDA cable

Hey all, the time draws near for my projector (ordering the FB3 as we speak),
    anyway, I'm looking for an ILDA cable, and having quite a time of finding them, I know they need to be db25 male to male, with 25 true conductors, and shielded. I've looked for "Data transfer cables" like the other thread said, but am having trouble locating such a beast (being in a foreign country doesn't help much either). My next course of action is to try and make a cable, I was just wondering if you guys had any magic sources, or suggestions for which type of cable to use.

anyways, thanks for your help, can't wait until I can get this running!
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    Hey all, the time draws near for my projector (ordering the FB3 as we speak),
    anyway, I'm looking for an ILDA cable, and having quite a time of finding them, I know they need to be db25 male to male, with 25 true conductors, and shielded. I've looked for "Data transfer cables" like the other thread said, but am having trouble locating such a beast (being in a foreign country doesn't help much either). My next course of action is to try and make a cable, I was just wondering if you guys had any magic sources, or suggestions for which type of cable to use.

anyways, thanks for your help, can't wait until I can get this running!
    Try PM'ing Dave on here (LaserShowParts) he may be able to help out

Hi buddy

are you using the differential outputs or single ended

if you want a long cable run you will need to use the diff and best using twisted pair

Im currently using 400ft cable run from the desk to the projector

the cable im using is Cat5e stranded ( for flexibility, do not use solid core but im sure you know that ) twisted pair network cable, each pair has a foil shield with drain wire and an overall copper braided shield

this provides a great "noise free" solution over a long run at a lot lower cost than audio multicore, i have a secondary cable taped to this for the safety interlocks etc... the cable usually is routed with mains cables for the lighting rig with no visible noise pickup

best of all should the cable ever be damaged ( 2 year old now and still good as new ) it wont cost an arm and a leg to replace

all the best .... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Hi buddy

are you using the differential outputs or single ended

if you want a long cable run you will need to use the diff and best using twisted pair

Im currently using 400ft cable run from the desk to the projector

the cable im using is Cat5e stranded ( for flexibility, do not use solid core but im sure you know that ) twisted pair network cable, each pair has a foil shield with drain wire and an overall copper braided shield

this provides a great "noise free" solution over a long run at a lot lower cost than audio multicore, i have a secondary cable taped to this for the safety interlocks etc... the cable usually is routed with mains cables for the lighting rig with no visible noise pickup

best of all should the cable ever be damaged ( 2 year old now and still good as new ) it wont cost an arm and a leg to replace

all the best .... Karl
    You have cat5e with individually shielded twisted pairs? where did you find such a beast. also, are you running several of these cables together into a dsub?

as far as scanners go, i've got dt40pros, so i plan to run differential.
    that cable you describe would be ideal, esp. since a box of it is probably not too costly, but IMHO it's probably not too easy to find here (i'm in Seoul, I can't even read the yellow pages ffs.) however, I'll see what I can turn up.

*Edit*

Have any of you ever thought about using a modular snake system, such as a wireworks or a whirlwind medusa? I ask because 25 conductor cable (8 or 12 channel snake in the audio world), is actually a fairly common thing, I could get a 50m 12 pr snake and some panel mount connectors fairly easily. the only downside is that it wouldn't be dsub25,but I could duplicate those connectors locally.
    Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 01-25-2008 at 20:45.
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant

In a couple of venues we do shows, we have made cables up using mutable cat5 cables (just the standard stuff, no shielding) to leave in the venues and have had no issues with noise. The differential sorts out most noise issues

A little cost prohibitive, but we can supply molded 10 and 20 meter cables. The shipping costs are the killer.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Thanks. The whirlwind rep in Seoul has yet to get back to me, but they may have an off the shelf soultion. If they do I'll keep you guys posted on this.
    that being said, I'll consider you as a close second option, killer shipping costs or no, you get the parts where you can get the parts, you know?
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant