Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Raster-induced scanner blowout...

Unhappy HELP!! Raster-induced scanner blowout...

So here's the scenario -

We're having our quarterly laser n' pizza bash at the office.
    I've got a nice ~ 8' x 8' graphics zone projecting on the wall with crisp clean graphics (not sure of the actual scan angle - but all seemed to be working just fine; no unusual scanner noise).
    I decided to demo the Pangolin 'Linea' show, and being caught up in the fun of the moment, TOTALLY forgot to reset the zone to something more 'raster compatible'.

So, the show is looking good, I don't notice any unusual noise - until the shuttle-launch video portion of the show. I hear a VERY noticeable screeching sound from the scanners (ScanPro 40's), and the images turn to crap. I stopped the show, checked the zone test grid image - and the image looks like it's been beat up with a sledge hammer!

I shut the projector down for about 10 minutes, fired it back up, rechecked the zone image - and crap image still remains. The zone numbers look like a scribbled "S", the grid looks like a toddler's artwork, and basically, everything looks like my scanners are now COMPLETELY out of tune......son of a......

SO, before I fire things back up, a few questions:

• Are my scanners toast, or is there a chance things are recoverable?
    • Any recommendations for troubleshooting?
    • Worst-case scenarios - what's the best way to look at getting these repaired (preferably USA).
    • Where is the quickest & least-expensive way to obtain a comparable replacement set in the USA? (I may have a shot at a private gig soon that could open up future possibilites down the road, so I don't want to pass this up!!)
    I haven't rechecked the images since shutting down, and probably won't until sometime tomorrow - so the scanners should have PLENTY of thermal recovery time.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice!!!!!

Crap....this sucks...

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 06-04-2010 at 19:48.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Lightbulb

If you need a set of older DT40Pros for your event I can take the set out of my spare projector that I am using while the Kvant is in the "shop" for repairs. I can go without a few days; Kvant should be on its way home in a week.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    If you need a set of older DT40Pros for your event I can take the set out of my spare projector that I am using while the Kvant is in the "shop" for repairs. I can go without a few days; Kvant should be on its way home in a week.
    Hey dude -
    Thanks for the very generous offer!

I've probably got a little bit of time to work towards a permanent repair / replace solution, but I'll definitely give you a shout if the event gets too close for comfort!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Insanity had exactly the same problem and it was galvo toastada in his case

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Insanity had exactly the same problem and it was galvo toastada in his case
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid is the case...
    Reckon' I'm going to have to call Galvos-R'-Us for replacements...
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid is the case...
    Reckon' I'm going to have to call Galvos-R'-Us for replacements...
    Hey Stuka, get in touch with Marc (gottaluvlasers), he most likely has a set of DT-40Pro's in stock and ready to ship to you.

Before you toss these scanners, do you mind sending them to me, I can probably fix them.

Just some quick thinking, I wonder if the scanpro's have a poly switch on the amp, if it does, it may be degraded, normally they reset themselves but not always. Can you post a pic of the amp? Might be able to tell you which component to bypass or replace. In fact, maybe tonight or tomorrow, if you interested I can step you thru a few things over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Hey Stuka, get in touch with Marc (gottaluvlasers), he most likely has a set of DT-40Pro's in stock and ready to ship to you.

Before you toss these scanners, do you mind sending them to me, I can probably fix them.

Just some quick thinking, I wonder if the scanpro's have a poly switch on the amp, if it does, it may be degraded, normally they reset themselves but not always. Can you post a pic of the amp? Might be able to tell you which component to bypass or replace. In fact, maybe tonight or tomorrow, if you interested I can step you thru a few things over the phone.
    Thanks DZ!

I have to go retrieve the gear (left everything at the office last night), but I'll post some pictures & give you a holler' later.

Randy
    RR

Sweet.....

Are you sure that both galvos distort the image ?
    Usually the X galvo takes the hardest beating doing rasters.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Are you sure that both galvos distort the image ?
    Usually the X galvo takes the hardest beating doing rasters.
    I'll be researching that a bit more today -

My co-workers decided to console me after the "incident" with a bottle of Canadian Mist, so we didn't get much troubleshooting done last night...
    RR

Sweet.....

OK -

Here's the gory results (no retuning attempted; doesn't appear to be affected by scan angle):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILDA_30K (Medium).JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	17480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser Media (Medium).JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	17481

DZ - Here's the amp:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan amp.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	596.9 KB 
ID:	17482
    Last edited by Stuka; 06-05-2010 at 13:24.
    RR

Sweet.....