Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Medical Laser Scam Device?

Default Classic Medical Laser Scam Device?

Get a load of this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1986-DYNATR...c#ht_500wt_948

Look at all those knobs and buttons for a 1mW He-Ne! Classy lookin' housings though.

P.S. Name changed to protect the innocent.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

That one IS FDA and UL approved, actually a nice device. 1mW of 633 for 20 minutes a day will accelerate the healing of a small sore, but a question arises. How much of that is psychological or perhaps God? Ie your paying attention to something that increases your lifetime, and it heals faster.

NASA studies with large amounts of two wavelengths of IR and one deep red at the same time have shown greatly increased healing rates in the skin and in deep tissue such as tendons and muscles.

Approved LED panels have been sold for this, and thus you see the cheap led deep healing clones on TV, the TV ones have the wrong wavelengths, because the LEDs are cheaper... Go figure.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I understand the non-thermal healing effects of low powered laser light, but this device is still a scam. those effects are available with any laser "pointer". This is a placebo machine.

Since this healing process occurs by optical stimulation of the healing process, would it be possible that individual absorption wavelength is varying?

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I understand the non-thermal healing effects of low powered laser light, but this device is still a scam. those effects are available with any laser "pointer". This is a placebo machine.

I'm not saying it works, I'm just saying its type approved. I've seen them in used medical gear auctions, owned by doctors or hospitals who knew better. 1980s or so design. I scrapped one about 10 years ago from a medical auction. It is a approved device, and well built.

Please remember, once upon a time a new 2 mW hene was 600-1200$. I was young then. Diodes were IR pulsed gallium arsenide at the time , just becoming CW, and CW diodes cost more then the HENE tube.

For a small amount of patients, ie ones with anxiety or phobia, a placebo is fine.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-01-2010 at 07:11.

Oh I think the laser works, but the device itself is a good example of why our health care system is so screwed up. I'd add it to my collection to represent medical laser quackery but it would just piss me off whenever I saw it.
    Last edited by Eidetic; 09-12-2010 at 13:23. Reason: After more study, unfair characterization of the maker.

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    Since this healing process occurs by optical stimulation of the healing process, would it be possible that individual absorption wavelength is varying?
    You'll need to find the University of Wisconsin study done for NASA.

The current NASA web site is lame:

http://sbir.nasa.gov/SBIR/successes/ss/8-035text.html

Its is more about celebrating the licensing of the technology then the science.

Steve

Default WOW!!!!

What did NASA say about the MAGNETIC WRIST BANDS and SNAKE OILS?
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    Any intense POLARIZED light has a remarkable effect on a healing process.

First discovered by biologist (Hungarian I think) researching the effect on onion skin half a century ago in which case the psychosomatic effects on the onion probably weren't very important.

I suppose that's where Hobbybob's wallet came from!

Results from burn treatment centers worldwide are quite convincing.

It is even used on race horses

It does appear to be both wavelength dependent and intensity/dosage dependent for optimum results AND for once more power does NOT mean better results.

Laugh all you like, but if you ever get multiple burns, have a closer look at the whole issue!

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-01-2010 at 13:27. Reason: friggin commas

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    You say you "understand" these effects, I don't suppose you would care to elaborate, for the more mentally challenged among us !

I was once asked for advice on HOW to build a non laser placebo machine for double blind studies investigating these effects, to be conducted by a European university.

It ain't so easy, cos you have to be VERY sure, that your placebo does NOT produce similar effects.

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-01-2010 at 13:25. Reason: booze!