Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here we go... illegal lasers

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Here we go... illegal lasers

So here we go. Recently I have had two DJ's come in to play for events at my venue bringing in what we all know are basically illegal chinese lasers. HOWEVER... here is the kicker. The company is based in Brooklyn, NY (X-Static) and I have seen them have booths at major shows such as the Atlantic City DJ Expo. They carry a wide variety of LED lighting, moving heads, fog machines, etc. and of course lasers.

Here is their web site:

http://www.xstaticusa.com/index.php

Here are the two lasers a DJ recently brought in:

http://www.xstaticusa.com/Eletra/product-details.html

http://www.xstaticusa.com/X-LRGB300_...t-details.html

I inspected the lasers when he brought them in and as luck would have it, one had a bad scanner so wasn't working properly and the other had a dead green module so, in the end, he didn't use them. I explained to him my background (there was a language barrier as this was a spanish event with a spanish DJ) he asked me to keep them and look into fixing them. He'd spent quite a bit of money on them and since I "know what I'm talking about" (read: have him fooled) he wanted me to clean them up and get them working for him.

Now... pics of the first one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP7831.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	43435

The label:

Name:	IMGP7832.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	43436

The back:

Name:	IMGP7833.JPG 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	43437

The second unit:

Name:	IMGP7834.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	43438

The label:

Name:	IMGP7835.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	43439

The only other identifying mark:

Name:	IMGP7837.JPG 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	43440

I gave them a glance the next day and checked their output wiith a meter I don't necessarily trust and came in around 18-22mW out the window but, they've obviously had a hard life and were screwed up to begin with.

I'm probably not fixing them and am giving them back this afternoon I suppose but my issue is this...

If a dj or otherwise can walk into a store in the US and buy these units or, even walk up to a booth at a major DJ Expo in Atlantic City and buy these and they bring them in, how do I argue the point that they're illegal chinese lasers and they can't use them without acting like a dick or like I don't know what I'm talking about when they clearly may have bought them from a US company in the US and have been using them for ages everywhere else.

Not to drag them into it but I know it irks X-Laser as well and, their booth this past year was only about 40-50 feet away from X-Static who clearly had their products operating and shining graphics on the ceiling.

Especially when they (X-Laser) sell something LEGAL like this as well:

http://www.xstaticusa.com/Quad%20Hea...t-details.html

Grr...
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 06-03-2014 at 14:06.

i looked into them in the past (as im based in Brooklyn as well)and it seems that they are the same company that makes those cheap road cases called TOV

How do they stay in business? And selling lasers? Seems like it would be very easy to get a visit from the CDHR and have them stop selling illegal lasers.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes, it would "seem" to be but, I don't know how they're under the radar. I know they've been around for awhile.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i suggest you "repair" those spaz and flail boxes with a sledgehammer.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

As I've stated here many times, THERE ARE NO LASER POLICE. To elaborate, while I'm sure they exist, some where in the ether, they sure as fuck aren't doing anything. So while some of us choose the high ground and use MUCH more expensive projectors at our shows, many more are getting away with crowd scanning using illegal Chinese junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    As I've stated here many times, THERE ARE NO LASER POLICE. To elaborate, while I'm sure they exist, some where in the ether, they sure as fuck aren't doing anything. So while some of us choose the high ground and use MUCH more expensive projectors at our shows, many more are getting away with crowd scanning using illegal Chinese junk.
    Yep I see it all the time. But I do know some companies have lost or been refused renewed variances for being offenders. It seems like it would be SUPER easy to get an actual store to stop selling illegal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    Yep I see it all the time. But I do know some companies have lost or been refused renewed variances for being offenders.
    Great, so now they can just do illegal shows like EVERYONE else! I see ZERO incentive to operate above bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    I see ZERO incentive to operate above bar.
    Liability... If you someone tries to sue you, a history of doing shows legally should go a long way. Do you think most of these jack off offenders even know what a show report is? I don't worry about the gov. (maybe i should) but lawyers scare the piss out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    Liability... If you someone tries to sue you, a history of doing shows legally should go a long way. Do you think most of these jack off offenders even know what a show report is? I don't worry about the gov. (maybe i should) but lawyers scare the piss out of me!
    While I understand your concern, I doubt it is relevant *outside* of touring productions. Meaning, do you think the average raver in Detroit would know to associate his vision problems with the laser show from last weekend? And if he IS that smart, can he find the laser company?