Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few cool Winamp AVS presets for laser

Default A few cool Winamp AVS presets for laser

Many moons ago when the web still had a fresh taste, a few smart and creative guys got together and worked out a winamp plugin called AVS (Advanced Visualization Studio). A modification of this was worked out for use with lasers, and a few years later the general AVS plugin was released in open source for all to tinker with. cfavreau and I have done some tinkering and plan to release an open source Laser-AVS when it is ready, right now it is compatible with RIYA Dacs.

There are many excellent non-laser AVS presets generated by brilliant minds. Some of these presets can and have been converted for use with lasers. As a 'thank you' to those who conceived of and were originally involved in making the concept of avs for laser happen, here are a few cool avs presets that I have converted from non laser visualizations into something that can be scanned with decent frame rate.

My personal favorites in this set are silk strings, singularity, and totem but there are a lot of good ones still out there waiting to be converted for laser use. The original author credits have been maintained in the preset under the 'comment' section.

Download L-AVS presets

Enjoy!

Very cool-

Thanks Andrew!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I'm not sure I get it. Can the output of these presets be scanned by the riya interface yet ? Or is it to the screen (raster) only, for now ?

I would love to make some visuals that can be scanned without getting into the actual coding itself.
    Last edited by -bart-; 08-26-2010 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    I'm not sure I get it. Can the output of these presets be scanned by the riya interface yet ? Or is it to the screen (raster) only, for now ?

I would love to make some visuals that can be scanned without getting into the actual coding itself.
    They can be used with an as-yet unreleased alpha version of the plugin for RIYA. I posted the presets right now before that was ready so that QM2000 users could start enjoying them right away.

It is vector scanning, not raster scanning we are talking about here. If you want to make your own presets, it is possible to find some on the 'net and modify them for laser by removing everything raster and taking them down to the core (typically superscope) vector shapes, then changing the point density as necessary to make it scannable. The best ones use superscope to create beautiful shapes. Superscope presets are generated by typing formulas into a few boxes in the preset window - it is a lot like scripting. You can download AVS and have a look at the superscope sections of presets to see what I'm talking about, it is the same.

WOW! That sounds like a really neat project! It was very cool of the original authors to release the source of AVS. I have looked at it before and there is definitely some wizard code in there. I can't wait to see this one progress.
    -Mike

Default nice

it would be very cool to see an avs preset that was just like a beam show
    looking forward to the release of the plugin for riya dac's
    loving the dancing robot
    thanks dr lava

Thanks Andrew

Mark

Default Haloween Idea

Hey guys, just thought I'd point out that the 'totem' preset linked above in combination with the winamp (Ctrl+L linein://) line-in (microphone in) source could make for a fun haloween display to greet your guests.

Thumbs up Thanks Andrew

Nice tip

Cheers,
    Eduardo

Default Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hey guys, just thought I'd point out that the 'totem' preset linked above in combination with the winamp (Ctrl+L linein://) line-in (microphone in) source could make for a fun haloween display to greet your guests.
    Hey Dr.Lava,
    I did this for Halloween, except I took it to the next level and downloaded a voice changer program and connected my wireless mic to the laptop. It lowered my voice and allowed me to hide in the bushes to scare the kids. As they walked up I would just laugh or say general things like come closer, as they got closer I would point out something on their costume. This let them know this was not a recording. I could see them. That really stopped them in their tracks. I was also playing Thriller and the Halloween theme in the background. It was amazing my little laptop could handle all of that. We had all of the neighbors over. It was more like a block party. I live at the end of a culdesec, so we might block it off and have a big party next year.

Thanks for the software & idea Dr. Lava.

Lazerjock