Thread: WTB: Searching for a optical breadboard

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default WTB: Searching for a optical breadboard

So... I have a pile of parts. I've done my part to keep the international and domestic shipping companies in business recently. It's time to brave a foray into seeing what I can do with them and guess the next thing is a breadboard. I'm thinking about 12" x 19". Aside from spending crazy mad money for Newport or Thorlabs off eBay. Any suggestions for other suppliers?

~Brad

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

haunt the laser surplus sites and ebay. you can usually pick them up used for ~half of the thorlabs prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    So... I have a pile of parts. I've done my part to keep the international and domestic shipping companies in business recently. It's time to brave a foray into seeing what I can do with them and guess the next thing is a breadboard. I'm thinking about 12" x 19". Aside from spending crazy mad money for Newport or Thorlabs off eBay. Any suggestions for other suppliers?

~Brad
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Lightbulb

Many will say just get a slab of aluminum and start tapping holes where you need them. a breadboard can be a nightmare trying to line up holes on lasers, galvos, and such with the grid holes on a breadboard unless you make a platform for every component.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Many will say just get a slab of aluminum and start tapping holes where you need them. a breadboard can be a nightmare trying to line up holes on lasers, galvos, and such with the grid holes on a breadboard unless you make a platform for every component.
    I couldn't agree more, especially if you want a small projector.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I honestly wondered about that. My son's stepfather has a welding business so, I'm certain I can source a piece from him. I need to talk to him about custom making some brackets for two projectors anyway.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I honestly wondered about that. My son's stepfather has a welding business so, I'm certain I can source a piece from him. I need to talk to him about custom making some brackets for two projectors anyway.

Thanks!
    Get yourself a slab of 1/4 inch or 3/8 6061 aluminum sheet.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cast tooling plate is my slab of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Get yourself a slab of 1/4 inch or 3/8 6061 aluminum sheet.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.