Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help chosing a DMX laser.

Question Help chosing a DMX laser.

Hello,
    I'm sure you guys get this all the time, but I've looked all around the forums to try and find some direction on choosing a manufacturer for my first DMX laser.
    I am looking to spend around $500, I already have software to control the laser via dmx.
    I would like to have a few colors, but mainly green is important.
    Should I buy a more powerful green only laser, or does 40mW green, 110mW red make a good combo?
    It will be used mostly in small to med. bars and clubs.
    What are you guy's thoughts on lasers made in HK or china? (ebay lasers)
    Is there any way to tell if a company is reputable?
    What are some red flags to look for to know that a laser is a POS?

Thanks in advance, I hope to become a frequent visitor to the forum, it's full of infinite knowledge.

What country are you in?

The United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by un1ted3 View Post
    The United States of America
    Well, you have the initial problem of it being against the law to operate a laser show in the US above 4.99mW without a variance. No Chinese laser will fit the bill here. I'd suggest you do a little more research before you buy anything. It's gonna cost well over $500 if you want to buy something legal and if you build it, the paperwork will take at least a year.

If you want something quick, try X-Laser but it's not gonna be $500.

Cool, that's exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for.
    Do all of X-lasers products meet these specs?
    Any suggestions on what route to take?
    I am a music guy, I'm not looking to do anything huge, laser show wise. I just want a laser that is A. Legal B. Bright C. Dmx compatible. No animation, no crowd scanning.
    Just controlled, fast stage sweeps, or "liquid sky" effect.

Oh, also. What is your opinion of Laserworld? Some of their Lower priced DMX lasers are available for less than $400. I've read on their site they help license you through the FDA. As does X-laser. Are they worth looking into?
    Thank you!

Cool, that's exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for.
    Do all of X-lasers products meet these specs?
    Any suggestions on what route to take?
    I am a music guy, I'm not looking to do anything huge, laser show wise. I just want a laser that is A. Legal B. Bright C. Dmx compatible. No animation, no crowd scanning.
    Just controlled, fast stage sweeps, or "liquid sky" effect.
    Talk to Dan or one of his associates. They'll point you in the right way for a legal projector operation in the US. A and B are not cheap but DMX is doable, though you'd be much happier with the performance of ILDA control and a decent DAC.

Oh, also. What is your opinion of Laserworld? Some of their Lower priced DMX lasers are available for less than $400. I've read on their site they help license you through the FDA. As does X-laser. Are they worth looking into?
    Thank you!
    UH... GARBAGE! Don't buy LaserTurd unless you enjoy being disappointed. You get what you pay for... Do a search on PL to see what people have to say about LaserTurd....

Thanks for the advice.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I FULLY agree with everything Adam has told you as well as looking at X-Lasers products.

The only think that struck me was the effects you're thinking about along with simple DMX control could be accomplished with a Chauvet Scorpion Sky or to a lesser degree an American DJ Emerald Sky or Scan. Sometimes we tend to push people towards better quality stuff because most of us have been there at one point or another. Both are discontinued but pop up on eBay from time to time and for between $100 and $200, and they're not bad little units for what you want to do. Cheap and quick but, if you've got the bug at all... and if you do anything professionally, (meaning mobile DJ) you'll want to seriously consider spending a little more and go X-Laser. The support I know you would receive alone is worth it.

ya xlaser is probably going to be the chheapest (legal) route here in the us