Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed video conversion

Default help needed video conversion

hi
    heres what i want to do grab some hd video frames ,convert to a picture format, change them to black and white edit out frame by frame what i dont want to use,then convert all the frames into an ild file,
    the frames to be grabbed are cartoon and each item in the cartoon has black line drawen around each item (like in simpsons) so should be easy to convert
    once i edit the frame to reduce the amount of points converted to use as ild file , then colour in the frames when done
    just not quiet sure where to start so need some pointers of where to start please

thanks in advance
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

show some frames of the video and I can help you furter
    with a black line drawn around this could be cellshading..
    it's only easy to convert if the background is simple or can be masked away.

i dont have any frame yet basicly i want to pull sections of simpsons video, mask out the backgrounds and crap
    so the data count is not to high, recolour the black lines to the caractures colours then make into ild file
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

I have Vegas Pro.

I can take your video, convert to Black and White then convert to JPEG or Bitmaps.

The rest would be up to you.

This is a sample - this is a frame taken from the Film "City of Lakes":

Frame 36 secs into the video:

that I put through the process:

Actually better make that JPEG as bitmaps come out huge.

Oww I doubt that will work sorry
    it can be done but it's very expensive hehe
    I'm basicly doing something similar with an anime and I'm drawing frame-by-frame
    I use sony vegas or adobe after effects or virtualdub

Only way I can think of doing it would be take the individual frames and do them in photoshop but with potentially hundreds or thousands or more of frames depending on the duration, its going to be a nightmare.

A better solution would be to try to animate it yourself.

got a feeling i might be able to do it with this combo, virtual dub and xnview or somthing like inkscape

Virtualdub has a load of interesting filters.
    I got myself quite a lot.
    But still I doubt you will get flicker free results or you will get very messy graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    got a feeling i might be able to do it with this combo, virtual dub and xnview or somthing like inkscape
    I can get you the individual pics out no problem, its the manipulation afterwards that will be your problem.

The black and white still above is an actual converted jpeg not a screen capture.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    I can get you the individual pics out no problem, its the manipulation afterwards that will be your problem.

The black and white still above is an actual converted jpeg not a screen capture.
    So what algorithm would you be using to trace the frame?
    the boy's shirt will all be traced, they hair and it's thresholds will be all traced.
    The face will be traced from it's inside a few times.
    And the very complex railing will be traced.
    Manipulating each frame so it will trace and be consistant and not flicker will be a hell of a job.

You will bneed tracable quality like bad apple for that and especially multiple colored traces are not that common.