Thread: Upgrading pre build scanner galvos?

Default Upgrading pre build scanner galvos?

Slightly confused over this one...

If I bought a scanner that only has 10k galvos in it, can I simply replace them with something like 30k galvos and then be able to do more complex animations?

On the other hand the galvos are controlled at the 10k speed through the controller board correct? so in theory if I put 30k galvos in there it wont make any difference unless I change the controller board?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

The galvo block will likely be different so you will have to do some remounting of something. Also, 30K galvos typically have 2 amps and a larger power supply. So, the question is will it all fit? Probably not.

yes and no---

yes, in the fact that if your projector incorporates a 10k cambridge technology scan set (just for arguments sake) and happened to find a 20k (or whatever) higher scan speed set with the EXACT same connections and/or plugs you could use them.
    HOWEVER-
    the new 20K (or whatever) scanners must be driven by an amplifier (or amplifiers) that can produce signals up to that speed.

a lower end (10k) scanner system is most likely NOT going to have an amplifier driver system capable of driving a set of 20K, 30K or higher galvos. AT the appropriate speeds and accuracy. that is *NOT* always the case though. some amplifier systems ARE capable of running low speed galvos all the way up to 50K systems. (With proper adjustments and re-tuning) however these galvo systems are usually (or never, as far as i know) used in "Pre-manufactured" relatively lower end pre-configured laser systems. and are pretty expensive.

the best and most "proper" way to run higher speed scanning is to upgrade the galvo system as a whole. (scanners, amplifiers.) Power supplies are ususally the same across the board. +/- 24V. (NOT always though!)

-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    yes and no---

yes, in the fact that if your projector incorporates a 10k cambridge technology scan set (just for arguments sake) and happened to find a 20k (or whatever) higher scan speed set with the EXACT same connections and/or plugs you could use them.
    HOWEVER-
    the new 20K (or whatever) scanners must be driven by an amplifier (or amplifiers) that can produce signals up to that speed.

a lower end (10k) scanner system is most likely NOT going to have an amplifier driver system capable of driving a set of 20K, 30K or higher galvos. AT the appropriate speeds and accuracy. that is *NOT* always the case though. some amplifier systems ARE capable of running low speed galvos all the way up to 50K systems. (With proper adjustments and re-tuning) however these galvo systems are usually (or never, as far as i know) used in "Pre-manufactured" relatively lower end pre-configured laser systems. and are pretty expensive.

the best and most "proper" way to run higher speed scanning is to upgrade the galvo system as a whole. (scanners, amplifiers.) Power supplies are ususally the same across the board. +/- 24V. (NOT always though!)

-Marc
    Hmm, I see.

The scanner I was going to buy, I have found out it only has 10k galvos installed. I can get some new ones up to 30k.

If there is a kit out there that can run 30k and has ILDA and all on it then I can upgrade all the parts to that in the future.

As for 50k scanners, there are quite a lot on eBay. Just they are selling for around 1 - 3k.

if you need a hand just say, im only down the road
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

lambo said
    As for 50k scanners, there are quite a lot on eBay. Just they are selling for around 1 - 3k.
    i bought the laserworld 50k set and so far they are shit hot

i saw a set in insanitys ( mark ) projector at the uk laser meet and was impressed ....

check out the laser world auctions on ebay .... i got my set for £175

all the best ... Karl

geee i paid more than that for my dt40's not even pro's lol
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    lambo said

i bought the laserworld 50k set and so far they are shit hot

i saw a set in insanitys ( mark ) projector at the uk laser meet and was impressed ....

check out the laser world auctions on ebay .... i got my set for £175

all the best ... Karl
    Is this the scanner you got?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laserworld-PRO...6.c0.m14.l1308

I didn't know they did kits as well. The scanner looks incredible, I want one but it looks cheap now but the price skyrockets after a few days into the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    if you need a hand just say, im only down the road
    Sure, thanks.