Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the RC crowd

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default For the RC crowd

Cool video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI

Kinda gives an interesting perspective when shot with an RC drone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Cool video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI

Kinda gives an interesting perspective when shot with an RC drone.
    That's awesome. I have always wondered what fireworks look like from inside. Thanks for sharing.

Amazing the quad didn't get taken out in the explosion. I'm sure it has some damage.

If you read the 'About' description he says the Quad was not damaged.

If the quad would have been hit directly or close by it would no doubt
    have plummeted to the ground like a rock.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If I go to a fireworks show, I don't want to see his drone's navigation lights in my fireworks.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If I go to a fireworks show, I don't want to see his drone's navigation lights in my fireworks.

Steve
    I was thinking he must have taped over them or something. Any professional show pyro would halt everything if they saw such a low flying drone/plane/heli/anything. But even if they werent covered would this be too high for them to see?
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Not all drones have navigation lights. In fact, all of the ones I've seen (including one large enough to hoist a DSLR) did not have any lights - or at least had the option to turn them off.

With GPS safety and FPV control, you don't need to see where the drone is from the ground in order to fly it. So it's entirely possible that it had no lights.

Furthermore, I can't imagine this guy flew the drone into a fireworks display without first consulting with the people in charge of the fireworks.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Guess what, he did act without permission, NO prior consultation. There is some "fireworks" over on the drone forums sites right now.
    We of the older generation ask permission. The new generation asks for forgiveness at best.

So what happens when the GPS fails? I've used GPS long enough to know that there are some times when you cannot get a good 3D fix....

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Guess what, he did act without permission, NO prior consultation.
    Well, then he's an idiot, pure and simple. Though that still doesn't mean that he had running lights on the thing. (If anything, it suggests the opposite.)

So what happens when the GPS fails? I've used GPS long enough to know that there are some times when you cannot get a good 3D fix....
    The GPS is not supposed to be your primary or even your secondary control mode on a heavy FPV quad that is toting a camera. It's your fail-safe. If you are flying a $3000 drone, you should already have dual receivers, a separate FPV transmitter, and a barometric altimeter installed on the bird. If all that fails, the GPS is your last resort. If your GPS can't get it home, then you expensive drone ends up in the drink and you are out 3 grand. But really, when flying in open un-obstructed airspace you shouldn't ever lose GPS lock anyway. It's more about adhering to the regs than real safety, since airborne GPS is pretty robust these days.

This is a solved problem. Chris (Lazerjock) has a home-made quad (actually two of them) that uses dual control receivers (so you always have a backup) plus the GPS dead-man switch that brings the bird home if you lose control lock. This is on a unit that cost him less than $1500.

If you want to fly on GPS alone, then you need redundant GPS receivers, plus a permit. (Hobbyist aircraft must be able to be controlled by a ground pilot. Anything else gets the FAA involved.)

Adam

This drone thing is going to only get worse as the prices go down and the capabilities goes up. Just like laser projectors and idiots crowd scanning with 400 dollar 1+ watt projectors.

I heard a story yesterday about some new laws that might outlaw their use within 20 miles of an airport.