Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings to everyone.

Default Greetings to everyone.

Hello. I have been a member of laserpointerforums.com for a few months now and recently discovered this forum. From what I have seen so far I think I will like it here very much. Now a little about myself:

I am going into my final year for my degree in physics at the University of Arizona and hope to get into the grad program in optical science. I just recently got more heavily into lasers. I have an internship right now with a local company to help design a production based laser system to write holograms. I have also been playing around with lasers on my own as a hobby, I saw my first laser in 4th grade when someone brought a HeNe in to show the class. After that I got my first pointer back when 1mW reds from costco were still relatively expensive (for a 4th grader anyway). I have since moved on to higher powered ones. I have a few pointers I made for fun and a single line argon. I also have recently purchased a scanpro20 which just arrived and a 500mW green to add in. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get a red or 2 to make an RGY.

I look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully I'll be able to make some contributions of my own!

Ryan

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by climbak View Post
    ...hopefully I'll be able to make some contributions of my own!
    Slap a few piccies of your gear up then.
    We are suckers for some pretty pixels.

I have a few beam shots but thats about it so far. My CNI hasn't arrived yet; still in it's testing phase. I'll take pictures of everything once I get that in and post them up. As soon as I get my hands on some aluminum and a dmx I'll slap my cheapy 140mW 532 into the scanpro and take some pics too! I'll be sure to post what I've got so far in the gallery soon.

...to help design a production based laser system to write holograms.
    OOOoooooo... You said the magic word... Holograms!!

Now you've GOT to tell me more

Please, Please, Please, Pretty Please

Jem

Oh, and welcome to the forums
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask me about the holograms haha.

The company I work for, Prism Solar Technologies, is using holographic gratings to redirect light in solar panels so that less silicon can be used, thus making the panels cheaper. I can't say a whole lot about it because I had to sign an NDA, but a good overview of the technology is on their website: http://www.prismsolar.com/

I don't know a whole lot about it since my project is more or less just to play with lasers and try to get a nice stable system that we can integrate into a production line and that doesn't cost a fortune. We have several Melles Griot lasers that were each over $20k and were hoping that we can make a system that will be on the order of $1000 or so per unit instead.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Slap a few piccies of your gear up then.
    We are suckers for some pretty pixels.
    I posted up a few pictures I have in the gallery. I don't have much, but hopefully that'll change soon.

I would be interested in the type of optical cavity you have in mind...ring Osc. or an L fold? Other? Trying to build a big 532nm unit. I have most parts here to make a nice laser....maybe 1 or 2 watt range. I need or would like to find out more of the physyics aspect of strong magnetic fields at the Nd:Yvo4. I am assuming the field creats a resonance to further induce photon propogation in a more linear and stable manner. Flemmings induction rules apply here? Guase number of field stregth?
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask me about the holograms haha.
    I Love holograms... That's the other bit of my laser hobby. I use a Coherent C315m.

hoping that we can make a system that will be on the order of $1000 or so per unit instead.
    Simple, use C315m's, they're tried and tested for holography and extremely reliable. They're usually under $2000 now. The 100mW seem to be the most stable. I guess it depends on how much power you need. There was a nice Verdi on Ebay recently, that was priced at $15,000 but I don't think it sold.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I would be interested in the type of optical cavity you have in mind...ring Osc. or an L fold? Other? Trying to build a big 532nm unit. I have most parts here to make a nice laser....maybe 1 or 2 watt range. I need or would like to find out more of the physyics aspect of strong magnetic fields at the Nd:Yvo4. I am assuming the field creats a resonance to further induce photon propogation in a more linear and stable manner. Flemmings induction rules apply here? Guase number of field stregth?
    Most of what you said pretty much flew over my head. My project is with diodes so we're not using 532. I myself would like to build a high power 532 or a blue of some sort, but that will have to wait until I take the laser development course next year. For our diodes were just playing around with plain old external cavities of various sorts till we find something that can get the diode stable enough for our purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Simple, use C315m's, they're tried and tested for holography and extremely reliable. They're usually under $2000 now. The 100mW seem to be the most stable. I guess it depends on how much power you need. There was a nice Verdi on Ebay recently, that was priced at $15,000 but I don't think it sold.

Jem
    Well the film we use is sensitive to a different wavelength so we can't use green really. There are a lot of options for premade units we could integrate into our produciton line, but they are all very expensive. We're hoping to use stabilized diodes to keep the cost down. We will see though.

What wavelength is the film sensitive to ?

457nm?

Jem